SanDisk Adapter as Sd card breakout board . ?

Hi.. I need an SD card in my arduino project. :slight_smile:
I googled and found that there are several breakout boards available such as this one

But I also came across few problems :frowning: with that breakout board (something with 5v to 3.3v level shift)
So, can I use one like this directly. ?

If yes, then I know I will have to solder the pins of the Adapter to get the connection to the arduino!!!
I don't want to solder since I will be using it with my laptop in the future. Any other hacks for temporary connections ? (Secondary question)
:confused:

PS: I will remove my secondary question if it violates any community rule here. Please let me know. I am posting on this site for the first time

SD Cards work at 3.3v so you will need a suitable circuit to adapt between an Arduino's 5v and the SD card's 3.3v. The 5v Arduino should have no problem reading the 3.3v signals on an input pin but you must reduce the 5v output to 3.3v before feeding it to an SD Card's input pin.

I suspect buying the adapter is the simple solution.

I made my own adapter with a piece of stripboard and some stiff copper wire bent over to make contacts with the SD Card' terminals.

...R

The soldering job is there to solve a problem when more chips is connected to the same bus.

You can't actually connect the SD card directly to the arduino. I would suggest reading this post and as suggested there have a look on how the adafruit SD card breakout board is setup. I think you need a buffer to do all the 3.3V regulating stuff. I highly suggest the easiest method of using a breakout board and specifically a good one (adafruit for example). I have attached the datasheet for the non-inverting hex buffers that adafruit used but I don't have enough time to explain how they work and how to connect everything

@Gowthu

Are you asking if you can connect the SanDisc adapter directly to the Arduino?

Why? Yes, you could solder to the pads, and ruin a perfectly good adapter in the process. You would need to attach a 5v to 3v3 regulator, as the SD card needs only 3v3. NOT 5v.

The data lines coming from the Arduino are at 5v so you will need a level shifter IC to bring them to 3v3. The data line, MISO, will be at 3v3 but the Arduino sees that happily as a 1.

The SD adapter you showed first, has the 5v to 3v3 regulator(on the left) and the level shifter on the right. Then you use jumper leads to connect to the uC. Simple.

Fof