Saving Data on txt file rather than SD card

Hello, Is there a way to save data I am receiving from a controller and save it as a .txt file on my PC?

Probably.
Does the "controller" have a serial port or network access? More information about what you have and what you want to do would allow more detailed answers to your question.

If the output is from the Serial port of the Arduino, I have used Realterm for this. There are several options for capturing incoming data to a file.

I'm sure there are other serial terminal programs which can do the same thing

Yes, I am using serial communication (serial port). I am sending data to a controller and the controller is sending data back to my arduino. The data that the controller is sending back, I will like to save it as a .txt file

The arduino sends the data to PC via the USB cable in exactly the same manner as you would to the serial monitor, but you use a proper terminal programme, like Realterm, instead. This can record the data as .TXT etc. and also timestamp the data using the PC clock.

You could also write a PC program specially to receive the Arduino data and save it to a file.

This Python - Arduino demo could be used as a starting point.

...R

Robin2:
You could also write a PC program specially to receive the Arduino data and save it to a file.

This Python - Arduino demo could be used as a starting point.

...R

Fare warning of "old" python code :smiley:

ImANoobAtThis:
Yes, I am using serial communication (serial port). I am sending data to a controller and the controller is sending data back to my arduino. The data that the controller is sending back, I will like to save it as a .txt file

If your command are repeated over fixed intervals, you can easily replicate the command using terminal by bray++

The macro section allows you to set up what to send to the port and at what interval in seconds to repeat it. Then you can record the responses in a text file. More complex scripting can be done inside the popular Tera Term. Even more complex scripting/programming should be done with Python or Processing etc. There are also virtual serial port programs that can create virtual ports that allow you to snoop your real serial port. Record the virtual port traffic.

I have been using Megunolink for stuff like this.
You can try before you buy.

more overkill then solutions suggested above..

but you could install a local web server (WAMP..etc)

and use a some sort of server script to read serial com/port and output to .txt file.. as well as save to a database ..etc)

lol

xl97:
more overkill then solutions suggested above..

God, you are right about that........

It was more a point if one wanted to do 'more' with the data..

(a PC was already involved)

not like I said easier or better.

liudr:
Fare warning of “old” python code :smiley:

I don’t charge for it. :slight_smile:

I believe it still works.

What’s with the “old”?

…R