scalextric to arduino

Hi

as you can tell by the topic title, i have a scalextric set which uses a standard remote control which is based on resistance.

the input power is 19v 0.5amps, when the remote is connected the voltage varies from 19v - 12v, which im guessing is due to the resistance coil in the controller.

i guess im looking for an idea on how i can control the voltage the same way. im guessing a potentiometer would be best, however when i tried it the pot started to smoke up. i used a 10k ohm resistor, and guessing that might be the issue. i did the calculations, 19v - 12v / 500 ma and i got 15 ohm.

when i connected the multi meter to the track i got a voltage between 0 - 5v.

as you can see im lost and could use some guidance

if anyone can help that would be great

thank you so much

How is an Arduino involved in your project?

Without an Arduino you need a power pot (10W, wire wound). With an Arduino you need a motor driver module. Almost every type will support 19V DC and 0.5A.

DrDiettrich: How is an Arduino involved in your project?

Without an Arduino you need a power pot (10W, wire wound). With an Arduino you need a motor driver module. Almost every type will support 19V DC and 0.5A.

well the issue i am having is how to use an arduino in this project.

A microprocessor controls the speed of a DC motor using PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). It turns the power on and off very quickly and by varying the proportion of time (the pulse width) that the power is on it controls the average current passing through the motor.

In an Arduino the analogWrite() function is used to generate a PWM signal.

Because the Arduino can only provide tiny amounts of power it is necessary to have a motor driver board between the Arduino and the DC motor. The driver board is designed to handle the high motor currents. If you look on the Pololu and Sparkfun websites you will see lots of different motor drivers. Choose one that is suitable for the voltage and the current that you need.

...R