Schematic guidance

Greetings forummers.

Kindly advise if this schematics makes sense.

I'm trying to make my own pcb.

Kindly advise if this is good to go. :)

Can you Attach it vs a link to some spam-ridden website?

Possibly when it is posted with sufficient resolution to actually see.

Why not use a small 9volt regulated plug-in-the-wall supply. Cut off the plug and solder it to Vin and ground.

Or, maybe better, a 5volt regulated phone charger with micro-USB lead. Cut off the plug, and solder it to the 5volt pin and ground. Leo..

So you need to control the "Lamp" and "Water Pump", you got 2x relay's to On/Off them and power to power up Lamp, Pump and arduino.

So 1st you need 2x 220v relay that will be plugged directly to wall power (you need to be careful with that), the relay gonna have Input for the 220v from the wall, Output 220v to power up the Lamp or Water pump and in between (GND,VCC and Digital pin) to control the relay with arduino.

2nd as I see from your schematic you got 2x step down and regulator, you don't need them, as Wawa said is a great idea to buy or if you already have a 5v USB charger, cut the male usb end and find the 2x power cables GND/VCC.

and you are mostly done with that, program your arduino to power On/Off the relays and you are ready to go.

D.60

holymarder: I'm trying to make my own pcb.

Kindly advise if this is good to go. :)

well, it is done like this. first you figure out what you want to do. seems you have done that. then you get wires and such and cobble a thing together, often done with 2 left hands. then try to get it to work. then buy new parts to replace the ones lost in the fire and smoke. try again., get it to work create a pcb layout, and have a board made populate the board, test it figure out where the shorts and open circuits are, fix them. re-design your board to make the traces larger so the next board will not burn up. have more boards made kick yourself for not remembering to make 'that' connection. solder wires to fix the circuit, get it to work. alas, this is often where you find out the motor was undersized and the project does not work or where you smile and show all your friends how great you are. if you noticed, actually making the PCB comes in around step 6. seems you might be on step 2. you are getting there. kudo's for actually making a sketch.

Putting 220V onto a PCB that also has interaction with a person is a detailed subject. You want to have absolute isolation between the 220V side and the low-voltage side. If you drop the thing and a flake of conductive dust (metal) bridges the isolation gap then just brushing against the USB connector can give you a shock. The professionals even go as far as cutting slots out of the PCB so that there's almost nowhere for the dust to settle in between the two sides.

How are you interacting with this thing? If it's in a totally sealed box and you're using Bluetooth wireless then you have a different design problem to something with buttons and plugs and sockets.

The schematic doesn't show any control connection from the Arduino to the relays. Often this is best done by putting the high voltage stuff on a separate board and powering the Arduino from a wall-wart concealed inside the box. Then connect to the relays with opto-isolators.

dave-in-nj lol

Hi,

I see from your schematic you got 2x step down and regulator,

The schematic doesn't show any control connection from the Arduino to the relays

What schematic, all I see is a smudge with some indistinguishable lines on it.

Did you guys use some magical CSI imaging technology or something.

Please show me what you are looking at?

Tom.... :)

Tom, those smudges are a link. Click on it and it takes you to a web site that attacks you with spam, it is best not to go there.

Hi, Grumpy_Mike. I went there, bitdefender, took care of the junk.

holymarder, you do not get you mains power from 220Vac and gnd!!! You do not power your loads through gnd either.

If all you are powering is a mini and a couple of relays, take Wawa's advice re plug packs.

I don't see the owner of this post commenting, new member probably forgot about this forum :D Well if you are back follow comment 4, I described how you can do it.

D.60

dave-in-nj: well, it is done like this. first you figure out what you want to do. seems you have done that. then you get wires and such and cobble a thing together, often done with 2 left hands. then try to get it to work. then buy new parts to replace the ones lost in the fire and smoke. try again., get it to work create a pcb layout, and have a board made populate the board, test it figure out where the shorts and open circuits are, fix them. re-design your board to make the traces larger so the next board will not burn up. have more boards made kick yourself for not remembering to make 'that' connection. solder wires to fix the circuit, get it to work. alas, this is often where you find out the motor was undersized and the project does not work or where you smile and show all your friends how great you are. if you noticed, actually making the PCB comes in around step 6. seems you might be on step 2. you are getting there. kudo's for actually making a sketch.

lol. love all the replies above.

here's a more detailed schematic. kindly take note this is my first proper schematic attempt.

I've also attached other relevant pictures to give and idea what I'm trying to do.

http://postimg.org/gallery/157civoue/

please advise if these are right.

Looks like you done what you need, a reason that you use step down is because that's what you have, you could of done better schematic but if it works then it's ok In the pic nr.3 is that a radio module? Well try to use EAGLE next time, you will save some time and make better PCB's.

D.60

The kickback diode goes across the fan, not across the transistor.

Is that a 5volt regulator connected to the raw input. Is it a 3.3volt Arduino. Leo..

Hi, Good try for first schematic, needs layout fine tuning. I also suggest you forget about Fritzy to do your schematics. What relays are you going to use?

Also don't worry about a PCB just yet, get the circuit working before jumping to that. The PCB doesn't show relays and you are missing the capacitors around the regulator, also you have your RESET on the controller connected to your input supply voltage.

Domino60: Looks like you done what you need, a reason that you use step down is because that's what you have, you could of done better schematic but if it works then it's ok In the pic nr.3 is that a radio module? Well try to use EAGLE next time, you will save some time and make better PCB's.

D.60

Wawa: yes that's a radio module,a 433 receiver.

alright i shall try eagle next.

The kickback diode goes across the fan, not across the transistor.

Is that a 5volt regulator connected to the raw input. Is it a 3.3volt Arduino. Leo..

it's a 7v regulator to power the 5v arduino pro mini.

kindly elaborate the diode. i put it such way according to this; http://www.instructables.com/file/F9LKDFGGU7FXUMH

“Instructables”

Nuf said.

Google “back EMF diode” (images).
Leo…

Wawa:
“Instructables”

Nuf said.

Google “back EMF diode” (images).
Leo…

ouuu. understood :slight_smile:

thanks guys. so beside this little adjustment, everything else is okay?

TomGeorge: Hi, Good try for first schematic, needs layout fine tuning. I also suggest you forget about Fritzy to do your schematics. What relays are you going to use?

Also don't worry about a PCB just yet, get the circuit working before jumping to that. The PCB doesn't show relays and you are missing the capacitors around the regulator, also you have your RESET on the controller connected to your input supply voltage.

Hi tom

i use this relay http://www.myduino.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=450