Schematics

Ok if I name 2 arduino and family boards can I get a schematic to take to a shop to produce for me all on one board rather than the 2. Mega and Stepper Servo Robot Shield v2 with PWM Driver Shield For Arduino. Without the pins and black plastic connections to keep stacking. I hope this is clear enough to not have to do a schematic to send you. These two items are publicly accessible in the net and hopefully not a nightmare to produce one combined schematic on one board as compact as possible with all inputs on one side ( v-in USB in) and output on the other side of board ( v-out to dc motors). Schematic I mean PCB design to take to PCB shop.

This much more that just combining 2 schematics...

First you need to indeed combine the schematic, then do the PCB layout (that's just placing the parts in the CAD software with the right footprint), then you need to do the PCB routing taking in consideration trace width, impedance, RF,...

I suspect that an Arduino Mega is not a simple 2 layers PBC but rather at least 4 layers.

Possible ? Yes, but be prepared to invest an easy 2000$ to 3000$ in NRE fees just for the PCB layout, plus a few hundred for a first run of PCB that will probably need to be modifier for a 2nd and maybe a 3rd round of PCB, all adding to the NRE fees.

Worth it if your going to be mass producing your Arduino contraption, not so much for a hobby project.

Just my 2 cents.

You have to start with schematics - the logic ICs you need, the peripheral parts, etc.

Arduino is only 16 MHz so not too high requirements on the PCB. Many people make their own for the ATmega328. The main difference of the ATmega is the much greater number of pins... and that of course makes the board more complex... but I doubt you need 4 layers for that, many pins are equivalent so there's a lot of room to move things around making the design simpler.

If I’m going to shell out that kind of currency I would rather have it done as a final product which I don’t habe to tweak later. I like your way of simplifying projects wvmarle. It does not feel like a complicated sales pitch. Would you be interested in hearing the exact project needs to make me a design similar to this in a private setting if so send me your contact info at ppaladin@cfl.rr.com please thanks. It’s for a wearable toy I wish I could bring to market. It’s just I’m a car mechanic and the electronics are out of my field of study. Not even sure I can make it all happen but I’m going to try as far as I can take it because it’s a toy my Son and I would use if it existed. Thanks again.

Just sent you e-mail - lots of questions :slight_smile:

PALADIN:
If I'm going to shell out that kind of currency I would rather have it done as a final product which I don't habe to tweak later. I like your way of simplifying projects wvmarle. It does not feel like a complicated sales pitch. Would you be interested in hearing the exact project needs to make me a design similar to this in a private setting if so send me your contact info at ppaladin@cfl.rr.com please thanks. It's for a wearable toy I wish I could bring to market. It's just I'm a car mechanic and the electronics are out of my field of study. Not even sure I can make it all happen but I'm going to try as far as I can take it because it's a toy my Son and I would use if it existed. Thanks again.

I love your first sentence. Certainly the voice of the inexperienced. I have engineer customers with 30+ years of experience having to redo a simple board because they chose an ic size for the board and the size in the bill of material that are different and the chip won't fit the pads.

Or, the resistor or capacitor they chose is NO LONGER available. The only available alternate is too tall the fit the enclosure.

Etc, etc.

Paul

Indeed. Isn't it wonderful how reality is never as you think it should be?

Or drawing up a footprint for a part, but using the top view instead of the bottom view so the pins ended up mirrored on the board... I had no choice but to trash the boards and order new ones.