School Attendence

Today my school headmaster asked me to try to make a system that can read fingerprints and input them to Microsoft Excel. The system would use an arduino and a fingerprint sensor. At our school we have 500 students. Everaday the teacher’s has to make the attendance to make sure that everyone came to school. So with this system the student can simply put their fingerprint. From there the arduino will tell that student A came and mark as present on Excel. I know this is a very complicated system and I am not sure if it is possible.

If you are not sure that this is even possible, why did the headmaster ask you to do the job?

Why is an Arduino specified? Most fingerprint readers are intended for use with a much more capable computer.

Not sure about the writing to excel, im sure there is a way or another way to right it out so that you can see the attendance list…

But here is a sensor with a library and some information:

cubangt:
Not sure about the writing to excel, im sure there is a way or another way to right it out so that you can see the attendance list..

But here is a sensor with a library and some information:
Fingerprint sensor : ID 751 : $49.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

I don't think that would solve the problem because, in the specs it says "up to 162 finger prints can be stored in the onboard FLASH memory" and from previous discussions, it seems to me that is not expandable. The problem is going to be finding a fingerprint sensor that can handle at least 500 (pref 1000) or allows expansion of the storage

True, didnt read that far into it specs, but there is this post on a possible solution to get around the 162 limitation

https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44408

cubangt:
True, didnt read that far into it specs, but there is this post on a possible solution to get around the 162 limitation

No it is all speculation by people who have no idea what it entails.

The fingerprint template must be matched to an existing finger print template, this involves doing a fuzzy comparison over about a 4 K parameter block which gives you a probability of a match. This is not something you do in Excel, but a dedicated program.

The best solution is to get a better fingerprint module that can store and match the required number of fingerprints.

And all it will take is one kid with peanut butter on his fingers to gum up everything for everybody :slight_smile: