School Project

This forum is very intimidating considering what I need help with.

So I am doing a small project using Programmable Logic Controllers(PLC), and doing a Garage door to open and close. All using the breadboard and PLCs, along with 2 motors that will act as separate doors.

What I want to do it wirelessly, without pressing any push buttons. Kind of like a real garage door. I would like to use a LCD screen controlling the opening and closing of the garage doors. The problem i have is the materials/boards I would need. So far my current list includes
Hello everyone, I’m obviously new here. And I would like to ask a question.

• UNO R3 2.8 TFT Touch Screen with SD Card Socket for Arduino Board Module
  • JBtek® 2 pcs nRF24L01+ 2.4GHz Antenna Wireless Transceiver RF Transceiver Module ISM - Arduino & Raspberry Pi Compatible
  • Elenco XK550 Digital/Analog Trainer in Case

I know i need an Arduino board, but unsure which one and if I need two since i have read that the touch screen will use most of the pins on the Arduino.
What other parts would I need?

P.S. I know very little about Arduino but am willing to give this a shot.

I think touchscreens are really cool, but I think it's easier to use a cheap Android device than using a touchscreen with an Arduino.

With the Android you could make a simple touchpad interface with App Inventor 2 and use Bluetooth to communicate to the Arduino. There are even ready made apps which will send button commands over Bluetooth so you wouldn't even need to write an app yourself.

My two favorite Bluetooth modules are the HC-05 and this module from ElectroDragon. I've used both these Bluetooth modules to communicate between a microcontroller and an Android smartphone.

I haven't used a PLC myself. Can the PLC receive serial commands? If so I'm not sure what the Arduino is for. If not, then I don't know what the PLC is for. Does the PLC drive motors directly or will you need a h-bridge?

If you are considering using an Android device you may be interested in this RemoteXY Thread

...R

You might also want to take a look at LittleBits for some rapid prototyping. It'll allow you to get the code logic down and try out some really neat stuff with much less effort. Here's a quick project to get going : Quick, start! A quickstart project for LittleBits Arduino: a littleBits Project by mikimer

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's definitely something to get you ramped up.

Welcome Acnexus,
please google your touch screen and the word arduino.
you will find others who have used it and reviews and code and such. this way you get a feel for what others have used.

generally we recommend an UNO R3 for a few reasons, it takes plug in shields and 99% of sample code works on it.

it is the larger board. the NANO is the miniature version and does all the same stuff. if using an NANO, I recommend a carrier board with screw terminals.

I looked into a touch screen but the one I looked at used all the pins of the UNO and had multiple unfavorable reviews.

PLC stands for Programmable Logic Controller and I believe that an Arduino fits that term.
however, most of us think of an industrial device that costs a lot of money and uses ladder logic as the programming language.

if you do mean a generic programmable device, then the entire Arduino family does fit that description.

jakilevy:
You might also want to take a look at LittleBits for some rapid prototyping. It'll allow you to get the code logic down and try out some really neat stuff with much less effort. Here's a quick project to get going : Quick, start! A quickstart project for LittleBits Arduino: a littleBits Project by mikimer

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's definitely something to get you ramped up.

littlebits are interesting....but
the plus points are that they are easy to swap and move around.
they are snap together and eliminate a lot of wiring.
you can photo a setup and then jumble them up, then re-create your set up with seconds.
wonderful learning tool
I am not an enthusiast for a few reasons.
cost. they are more expensive to purchase
everything you do purchase is a specif form factor, so you cannot shoehorn them into a project box.
you do not want to use them in any final products.
the programming is not plug and play with any Arduino and discrete components ( pronounced com-po-nents)
the simple fact that you have to re-write bits of your code to fit a custom board with soldered in components is what I find the biggest obstacle.
cost is a huge factor. an Arduino starter kit is around $99 USD
the littlebits says $315 for their kit, but offers it for sale at $199. I suspect if they get more demand, the price will jump to the $315 they list on their site. a huge barrier to introductory parts for a hobby. especially since you have to buy a second one to use in a project and have one on the bench for other projects.

Thank you guys for the reply!!
I have ordered the Arduino r3 kit and the bluetooth t-receiver. Coming in on Friday. (Pretty excited, considering it would be my first time)

Now I will be busy using the PLC program to get some things started, then hooking up the wires LEDs to do breadboard and into the PLC device. Downloading the program onto the PLC and do a trial run using some NO/NC push buttons.

The next step is trying to implement Arduino into it. I will keep you helpful people updated, and will most likely ask a question if I run into a problem along the way.