Science Fair

Greetings, I am looking to do a science fair involving arduino and possibly computer science. I have hit a creative wall for Ideas. The project needs to be experimental in nature, not a demonstration. I am better at the programming side of things, though I am not an expert. I would greatly appreciate some help in formulating an idea for this project. Thank you for anything you might find relevant.

Ummm, how about finding the distance between two or more arduinos using either Bluetooth or RF without using any built-in signal meters in a crowded room. (which means ping sensors are out)

How about a human reaction speed experiment such as what they use for testing racing car drivers. It displays a random series of lights in the users peripheral vision then measures their reaction time via a thumb switch, foot pedal or whatever. At a science fair it could be interactive, rather than just a static display.

How much time have you got to prepare your project?

Is there any general theme for the Science Fair?

Do you want to use the occasion to encourage interest in the Arduino or is the Arduino just a tool that you may use if it is useful?

What is your financial limit?

This is one of those cases where my previous boss’s comment is relevant “work back from the press release”.

…R

everyone loves the volcano.

you can have a PIR ( motion sensor) detect when people are around, the at the best moment, explode with great hurling bits of baking soda and vinegar, or better yet Coca-Cola and Mentos.

plant watering system.

get a plant that likes sandy soil. use a container with a tiny pin hole.and filter (cotton) to keep it from clogging. use a soil moisture sensor, fill. it will drain over time and then re-fill. set the sensor so it repeats often enough to keep peoples attention.

CAUTION, Coca-Cola is a nice earth brown. with an over abundance of Mentos, it will shoot up a foot or two.
DIET coke will shoot up 6 feet or more !

In Reply to Robin2's post I have an abundance of time to formulate and conduct an experiment. The arduino would be a tool in this experiment, nothing more. I would like a cost effective experiment, but I am not closed to spend money.

Awkwardtaco: In Reply to Robin2's post I have an abundance of time to formulate and conduct an experiment. The arduino would be a tool in this experiment, nothing more. I would like a cost effective experiment, but I am not closed to spend money.

You'll probably find that you get a lot better stuff here if you're a little more verbose and a little more detail oriented.

What age group are we talking about? Are you the student? Or the parent that's doing their homework for them? What sort of electronics experience do you have? What sort of programming experience do you have? Don't be afraid to write a couple of paragraphs and give us something to work with.

You might go with some current topical subjects like solar energy and similar.

Awkwardtaco: I have an abundance of time to formulate and conduct an experiment.

Does that mean the Science Fair is in May 2016 ?

...R

What age group are we talking about? Are you the student? Or the parent that's doing their homework for them? What sort of electronics experience do you have? What sort of programming experience do you have? Don't be afraid to write a couple of paragraphs and give us something to work with.

I am a student, this is an 8th grade science fair. For programming experience I have done a lot of work with web languages like javascript, php, html, css, and SQL. I am not as proficent with the arduino language(I think it is a variation of C) but I am still capable with it. My experience with electronics is not quite as good, I have a basic understanding of it. I mostly have worked with motors, ultrasonic sensors, and steppers. My time frame would be around 3 months.

Awkwardtaco: the arduino language(I think it is a variation of C)

It's not a variation. It IS C++. Just regular old C++. All the arduino folks did was write a few source libraries to give you functions like digitalRead and digitalWrite so you wouldn't have to go fiddling with the registers yourself to read or set a pin.

bruh ;do you even m9crft

Delta_G: It's not a variation. It IS C++. Just regular old C++. All the arduino folks did was write a few source libraries to give you functions like digitalRead and digitalWrite so you wouldn't have to go fiddling with the registers yourself to read or set a pin.

i m9 4 life bruhsky

"i m9 4 life bruhsky" I don't understand this. What does that mean?

Experiment: Have 4 buttons. Give instructions on paper: hit the red button to activate, hit blue then green to deactivate.

Upon activation, a loud alarm goes off. Now if they are not flustered, they will hit the blue and green to deactivate. Time how long it takes them to deactivate. Was it 1 second, or 10 seconds? after 10 seconds, the arduino would deactivate the alarm, and they failed the test.

[quote author=jack wp date=1446163575 link=msg=2456388] "i m9 4 life bruhsky" I don't understand this. What does that mean?

[/quote] I think it is code for a handle for a minecraft player. ref m9crft

[quote author=jack wp link=msg=2456399 date=1446164461] Experiment: Have 4 buttons. Give instructions on paper: hit the red button to activate, hit blue then green to deactivate.

Upon activation, a loud alarm goes off. Now if they are not flustered, they will hit the blue and green to deactivate. Time how long it takes them to deactivate. Was it 1 second, or 10 seconds? after 10 seconds, the arduino would deactivate the alarm, and they failed the test.

[/quote]

What is the hypothesis that is being tested here?

aarg: What is the hypothesis that is being tested here?

Whether or not an 8th grader can actually read and then follow a simple 2-step instruction. My experience with average American 8th graders says that if this were done in the States you'd probably have about a 10% success rate. The rest would push whatever button they thought would stop it and then complain that it is broken when that doesn't work.

What about a nice (and simple) extension to @jack wp's suggestion - display the "OFF" instructions after the noise starts so that they have to read the instructions under stress.

...R