Scooterputer

Arduino-based computer for my scooter:

Kurt's Arduino Blog - Scooterputer

That looks very nice but bl**dy hell does it look expensive with all the stuff you have used.

Must be at least $300...

Not sure I could spend that much on a project when I don't really need all that functionality.

I will be keeping my eye on your blog ;)

Mowcius

Thanks Mowcius. Yeah, it definitely wasn't about the money. One thing that's cool about Arduino is you can easily scale to fit your needs.

Out of curiosity... Wouldn't people want to steal your scooter for things other than your scooter? =P So how is the price ratio between scooter and added elctronics ;D

One thing that's cool about Arduino is you can easily scale to fit your needs.

Or in your case you can scale it massively over your needs but more is better!

I am definitely in envy of this project. I have a lot of arduino stuff but it's not really expensive things like cellular shields!

Ok, some of it's rather pricey.

Anyway your scooter kinda reminds me of the BEHEMOTH: or the older winnebiko 2: or maybe the even older winnebiko:

Just keep adding more stuff! To be honest, your arduino setup can probably do everything the winnebiko and winnebiko 2 could do :p

(More info on the pics: http://microship.com/bike/index.html)

I wonder what restrictions and legalities there are with that kind of thing nowadays ::)

(Mowcius plans his next project ;) )

Right. I submitted your project to hackaday ;) It really should be featured on there! I hope you don't mind :)

Mowcius

ROFL - the Winnebiko! Now that's what I'm talking about. It's all about the technology ;) Nice.

I'm the first to admit the Scooterputer is a bit extreme, but that was really the driver behind it...having fun getting all these toys to play together. If cost was a concern I could've just gone out and bought a Vapor or something. Where's the fun in that...?

Feel free to submit to Hackaday. :)

Thanks again! Kurt

Feel free to submit to Hackaday.

It's been done ;)

I'm the first to admit the Scooterputer is a bit extreme, but that was really the driver behind it...having fun getting all these toys to play together. If cost was a concern I could've just gone out and bought a Vapor or something. Where's the fun in that...?

I don't really think it's extreme. I think it's brill!

I'm not one to talk as I am still planning my UGV for next year.

30Kg, sbout 3x2ft and weighing in at about ~40Kg or something.

It's gonna have everything I can stick on it and expandable

This is probably the single most over done, over blown, over budget (for a 'battery meter') project I've seen.. And simply the best!

You should modularize the system (to reduce costs) and sell it as open source 'kit' (probably biggest kit I've seen) :)

That is some very nice work - congrats. The weatherproof enclosure is great.

Is the lean-indicator affected by centripetal force in curves? I would have naibely thought that the bike would alway have read as upright.

This is probably the single most over done, over blown, over budget (for a 'battery meter') project I've seen.. And simply the best!

More over-the-top than an 8x8x8 LED cube?!? :) Haven't considered an 'open kit'... probably not a large demand for Scooterputers. Thanks for the feedback nickvd!

Is the lean-indicator affected by centripetal force in curves?

The accelerometer is quite sensitive while riding. And for some reason it seems a bit more "bouncy" with the cell module plugged in. The Lean Gauge does register in the turns, but I'll need to dampen it some to take the jitters out. Really it's questionable how useful the lean indicator is on a scooter - just fun to play with the accelerometer. Thanks bill2009!

Really it's questionable how useful the lean indicator is on a scooter

Auto disable of blink indicator? :)

Now I'm waiting for a LED cube to be incorporated into this battery meter :P ;D

you have got to market those.

Impressive ingenuity.

Really cool project .. deserves a front page news link on SparkFun!

http://www.sparkfun.com

Meet the Scooterputer by Emcee Grady | July 07, 2010

Way to go!

Nice going man!

Mowcius

Guess I did it in reverse, first saw your project on HackADay, then on Sparkfun.com and now here.

Really cool project, very impressive and inspiring. It looks really slick in the enclosure you have chosen. It looks finished ;).

@kschulz, Congratulations! Very nice project!

I'm about to make a remote control using the cellular shield and - if that's OK - will use parts of your code and give you the credit.

I'd like to ask you a question: are you using a 5V arduino? (I guess so) The support guy at sparkfun told me that this shield wasn't intended to be used with 5V I/O (and in fact the datasheet states so...)

I'm asking that because one of my cellular shields (I have two) stops responding sometimes and doesn't accept any command untill power cycled

Thanks

MJ