Scoreboard using WS2812B to make seven segment numbers

First, I've never written a program.

I've found several videos on YouTube of people making seven segment numbers out of WS2812B LEDs, but no code attached. I'm looking to program two buttons that increase and decrease to make a score board that goes from 0 to 21.

Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated.

How big i.e. height of the digits?

Do you need different colors?
If not, W2812B is overkill.

ieee488:
W2812B is overkill.

Probably the easiest way, though, especially for a beginner. No need to build driver circuits with chips or transistors. Just solder a few wires.

You will need a substantial power supply, though. 5V and around 1A capacity for every 15~20 leds used. Less if you don't want to use full brightness white.

For digits approximately 200mm high, you are looking at 6 LEDs per segment, assuming the strip is 60 LEDs per metre. That's 84 LEDs in total for 2 digits. So that's a 5A psu minimum, ideally 6A for safety & long life.

I've never come across code for this exact use, but I've never looked. Should be quite straight forward.

If color is not needed, then making digits out of LED strips (dumb strips with 3 LEDs and resistor, use 2-3 groups for each digit and power from 12V) and a TPIC6B595 to drive each digit is pretty easy. Here's an example, driven by a board I offer to control up to 12 digits:

http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/#LED-Driver

ieee488:
How big i.e. height of the digits?

Do you need different colors?
If not, W2812B is overkill.

I'm thinking 5 inches and 2 LEDs for each segment.

techtodd601:
I'm thinking 5 inches and 2 LEDs for each segment.

Will you put some kind of light diffuser in front of each segment? Otherwise, 2 leds per segment may not make easily recognizable digits.

Are you planning to use individual ws2812 leds or strips?