Scrabbled LCD diplay

I am a student of a Nigerian University, and i am working on what is supposed to be a simple project.
A Ignition Cut-off Countdown Timer.
I have assembled everything as show, programmed the Arduino UNO
the problem i am facing is wen i try to introduce the generator switch wires to the circuit through the relay, or even just bring the wires close to the board the LCD displays scrabbled characters, and the program stops working.
i believe the problem is noise being emitted from the ignition coil of the generator.
how do i eliminate this problem?
i have attached a picture for the circuit.

Try moving the relay farther away and use shielded wire (with the shield grounded on one end) to control the relay coil.

CrossRoads: Try moving the relay farther away and use shielded wire (with the shield grounded on one end) to control the relay coil.

Thank you very much Sir! your Advice was of tremendous help.

Yes, take all the precautions you can against noise pickup - ignition systems are about
the noisest component that exists… Always shielded cables and boxes, always add
small ceramic capacitors to ground on every input to soak up radio-frequency
noise (10nF for analog signals, 100pF to 1nF for digital signals depending on how
slow a rise/fall time you can get away with).

Large ferrite toroids over each cable on entrance to a box will help stop shield currents
from injecting into your circuit (the currents induced onto the screens of the wiring by
nearby high power noise sources).

If you have access to a good oscilloscope use it to see where the noise it, how bad it is,
and how each noise-reduction technique performs (its a bit of an art).