scrounged chips... a question

So, having a pile of stuff I have scrounged and an ever growing variety of found things, I am trying to figure out what to do with the uCs. Does anyone actually pull the data sheets on these things and find uses for them. I have a bag of em that I can not bring myself to part with (no pun intended). I know that some are custom, but I have to assume that some of these have a lot of life left in em. So, I am starting to go through these. Some of them are resistor networks which I am finding a lot of use for. I do not think I will be doing anything with the 4000 pin mega chips like the one I pulled from a digital tape drive. Ok, it didn’t have 4000 pins, but it had way more pins than i wanna think about. So, do you guys (gals) use the chips?

There is a downside. Your garage can become a pile of parts that are unreachable and almost useless in practice.

Unless you are the anal organized kind of person that can sort, label and store away parts for eventual retrieval then you will be like me, with tons of boxes of parts but no way of retrieving what I might need when I need it. The rule should be if you can’t locate that part you know you have in 5 mins then you really don’t own it :wink:

Lefty

The rule should be if you can’t locate that part you know you have in 5 mins then you really don’t own it

DANG! That means I really don’t own about half of my garage! ;D

I love to reuse electronics. But for the most part only a few components are worth the trouble to remove and sort/store, such as non-SMD discretes, coils, motors, displays and connectors. ICs are good if you can easily identify them and obtain a data sheet (or just know how to use them off the top of your head). But many times, I’d rather spend a couple bux on a new IC to know I didn’t destroy it myself trying to remove it.

Please recycle what you don’t reuse!

The rule should be if you can’t locate that part you know you have in 5 mins then you really don’t own it.

I’ve added that one to my “wisdoms.txt” file. (I haven’t the willpower to write it on a Post-It note and paste it on my monitor.)

Does anyone actually pull the data sheets on these things and find uses for them.

Absolutely. Though sometimes that use is “Sell them on eBay”. I used to pull parts off of boards, but now rather than unsoldering I just afix a little string tag to the board listing the more interesting parts and their function. Then the boards go into a non-static-protected pile to await a need.

@koyaanisqatsi - Great username. Life out of balance, indeed!

mmm… interesting… and I thought i was the only one with problems organising components… anyone got good suggestions for managing components? yes i sort them and stuff but then there seems to be a lot of wastage in terms of not being able to find what you want and then having to buy it and then realizing you have it in stock! Also having too many components seems a trouble… :-[

These are the kind I use (courtesy of my late grandfather who had HUNDREDS of them in his garage)

http://www.uline.com/BL_302/Corrugated-Bins

This isn’t the only place to buy them. I did a Google search for “cardboard parts bin” and came across them. I saw links to ebay and a number of industrial supply houses. You can get dividers for them too. All you need is a few cheap shelves and you too can become an electronics pack-rat! :smiley:

Thanks, Mackle. I loved the movie and the meaning!

Way off topic, but koyaanisqatsi, I have been hearing the opening music of the movie in my head for the past 2 days and I do believe it is totally your fault. Awesome movies. My favs would have to be either the first (koyaanisqatsi) or the third (Naqoyqatsi). I used koyaanisqatsi as a shooting model for a documentary I produced a few years back. Truly on my top 10.

Ha ha! I am in your head now. Resistance is futile! ;D

I’m going to have to rent it again or buy it. I haven’t seen any of them in a zillion years.

I just bought it a couple of months ago, i had totally forgotten how good it is.

I got the follow up move also, kind of a bundle, it’s calle something like Powaquatsi, havent gotten around to see it yet.