SD card doubt

I want to connect a sd card to an arduino Ive already connected it in the following way FROM SD MODULE ARDUINO gnd gnd MISO 12 SCK 13 3.3v 3.3v MOSI 11 SSEL 10

by the way there is no onboard voltage regulator on the sd module that is why I connected to 3.3v

Will the the SD card get damaged because im connecting 3.3v directly without any voltage divider circuit ??

can it ibe connected without use of resistors? and how do I test the card?

saurabh64:
Will the the SD card get damaged because im connecting 3.3v directly without any voltage divider circuit ??

The I/O lines should not go higher than Vdd, which you’ve tied to 3V3. So it is likely you would be damaging the I/O lines, which will eventually result in failure.

That doesn’t necessarily mean immediate failure.

See page 3-8 and 3-9:
http://www.circlemud.org/jelson/sdcard/SDCardStandardv1.9.pdf

Screen Shot 2013-10-03 at 2.56.37 PM.png

To interface to a 3v3 SD card using 5V signals, you should (or can...) use a bidirectional voltage shifter such as the TXB0104, which I've used successfully before with an SD card.

I'd recommend not using the 3.3V output from the Uno or Mega boards to power an SDcard or microSD card - that supply pin is not guaranteed to provide enough current (depends on the actual card though). A separate 3.3V regulator from the 5V rail or Vin is wise, assume peaks of 100mA on writes and erase and you should be OK. Cards in native mode (as opposed to SPI) can take 200mA, this may be the actual peak current demand, 100 might be an average at lower data rates, so if possible use a regulator capable of 200mA and good decoupling (0.1uF, 10uF ceramic, next to socket).

You can use resistive dividers on the SCLK, MOSI and CS lines to level shift, but use lowish resistor values, the SDcard needs strong signals to drive it (1k / 2k2 divider has worked for me, I wouldn't guarantee that would necessarily work with every type of card). The MISO line can be connected directly since the Arduino reads 3.3V as HIGH, guaranteed (but never set that pin as an OUTPUT or you'll risk toasting the SDcard). Alternatively put a 1k resistor inline with the MISO line to prevent accidental damage. The SPI interface isn't very high speed so the slower transitions due to input capacitance shouldn't hurt, but if you have a good 'scope its worth checking (the SCLK line especially).

MarkT: I'd recommend not using the 3.3V output from the Uno or Mega boards to power an SDcard or microSD card - that supply pin is not guaranteed to provide enough current (depends on the actual card though).

Yep.

I'd also aim for a 3.6V supply. 3.3V is marginal on many SD cards, you can have problems if the power supply droops even slightly when the card demands high current.