SD Card dump to USB Drive

I currently use a Raspberry Pi with a simple script to read an SD card and dump all of it's content to a USB drive, this is done in remote environments where there are no traditional computers.

The solution works well but it's a bit bulky (battery, raspberry pi, sd card reader, cables..), while an arduino won't reduce the amount of things required, I'm sure the footprint would be smaller and a basic 3d printed housing would clean it up.

Has anyone done this before with Arduino? I understand it would be possible to do this with the Arduino platform but know very little c/c++ and all of my searches on the topic are flooded with sd card readers or expensive ($400+) solutions.

I understand it would be possible to do this with the Arduino platform

Based on what?

The USB drive that you wave your hands about is probably a USB slave, just like the Arduino. Without a USB Host (master) around, all the slaves do is sit around and drink all your beer.

Adding a USB Host shield to the mix will not make the overall footprint smaller. Writing a USB driver, so the Arduino can communicate with the USB drive is not trivial. Fitting that, and the SD code, in the 2K bytes of SRAM will prove a real challenge.