SD Card - how to reduce the power consumption?

Made an account to say thank you to fat16lib.

You reduced the power consumption of my SD card from 22ma to ~0.03ma.

Thank you!

Evenin’ all,

I’m just trying to do the same - that is get the power right down in between my data logs which occur every 5 mins.

The best I can do at the mo is about 500uA in sleep mode (the arduino bit accounts for 22uA) so I’m wondering if I need to do anything more than close the SD file to get the SD card to sleep?.. or perhaps its my SD card - any recommendations for nice sleepy SD cards and any difference between micro SD and full size?

Any code snippets to illustrate would be great :slight_smile:

500uA might be ok - it depends on the actual card used. Check the sdcard’s chipselect is high when idle.
You may disconnect the card fully with a high-side switch (ie. pmosfet).

The best I can do at the mo is about 500uA in sleep mode (the arduino bit accounts for 22uA) so I'm wondering if I need to do anything more than close the SD file to get the SD card to sleep?

Closing the file does nothing.

The standard SD.h library is based on an old version of SdFat that does not put the SD in sleep mode. New versions of SdFat enable sleep mode after every transfer and the card will go into low power mode when it becomes idle.

Almost all modern cards go into a very low power mode since this is important for battery powered devices. The 30 uA achieved by user arduino_ above is typical.

The method of level shifting or not applying proper voltage to the SD can cause higher power drain.

I am unable to compile the sketch from fat16lib in Reply #12

I receive the following error:

In function 'void setup()': 'class SdFat' has no member named 'begin'

It compiles fine here.. Do you have SdFat library installed?

Thankyou Pito for taking the time to read my post and test the short sketch posted in February by fat16lib to which I referred.

Yes I have the library installed and I can compile every one of the included example sketches ie AnalogLogger.

I raise this mainly in case other beginners are trying to leverage this useful example to create a periodic data logger using sync and are discouraged by being unable to get the sketch to compile in their environment.

I have downloaded and installed the latest build of the library from http://code.google.com/p/sdfatlib/downloads/list and the error has disappeared.

Have a great day,

Mike

I didn't see what the reason was for the problem. Apparently something was done differently in sdfat, but I didn't see an explanation of what it was.

Iam using sd card module with Arduino Mega for my automatic water tank project for getting audio output of message like tank full pump off etc…but I am facing a problem with the SD card module when the SD card is inserted it is heating like an heater . there is a 3.3v regulator on the board. Please anyone help me… sorry for the mistake in my language

It would be a good idea to start your own topic perhaps.

This topic was last comented on 8 years ago, so it may not be helpful to go back so far in history.