SD card killed

Hello,

I’m working on my first Arduino project: data collected by a temperature sensor gets stored on an SD card every 30 seconds. The current sensor values are accessible via a web interface.
The SD card is a brand new 4GB SanDisk card, formatted to FAT32 (using proper formatting software).

I have attached the schematics of the project and here’s a link to the program I wrote: http://pastebin.com/ica0QdDL

The modules I’m using:

It’s been working fine for a day or two, I was able to read the sensor data from my website and the data on the SD card was OK (checked it on my computer).

But this afternoon I’ve noticed that the serial monitor throws sd initialization errors. When I put the SD card to my computer’s reader I realized that it’s dead. It doesn’t even appear in the devices list like it used to do, therefore I can’t do anything with it. The card had been in its breakout board, occasionally pulled out from it to check the data on my computer (Arduino was powered off before I pulled out the card).

To avoid spending my money on SD cards, I would like to know what could have caused the problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

leno_inc: Hello,

I'm working on my first Arduino project: data collected by a temperature sensor gets stored on an SD card every 30 seconds. The current sensor values are accessible via a web interface. The SD card is a brand new 4GB SanDisk card, formatted to FAT32 (using proper formatting software).

I have attached the schematics of the project and here's a link to the program I wrote: http://pastebin.com/ica0QdDL

The modules I'm using:

It's been working fine for a day or two, I was able to read the sensor data from my website and the data on the SD card was OK (checked it on my computer).

But this afternoon I've noticed that the serial monitor throws sd initialization errors. When I put the SD card to my computer's reader I realized that it's dead. It doesn't even appear in the devices list like it used to do, therefore I can't do anything with it. The card had been in its breakout board, occasionally pulled out from it to check the data on my computer (Arduino was powered off before I pulled out the card).

To avoid spending my money on SD cards, I would like to know what could have caused the problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Peter

Is your SD card interface 3.3v or 5V? You have it wired to 5V. Most SD cards are 3.3v and require voltage levelshifters to work with UNO's

Chuck.

Hi Chuck,

According to the manufacturer's description the SD board has a level shifter: Adafruit MicroSD breakout board

Peter

I guess there might be some kind of over heating which might have damaged the sd card and as far as I know ethernet modules get heatedup pretty fast.

Thank you Swaton Banerjee

Hi Swaton,

Thanks for your reply, it's interesting. The ethernet and sd boards are pretty close to each other (about an inch), but I don't think that the ethernet module can produce as much heat that the sd card wouldn't tolerate.

SanDisk says 'memory cards are capable of withstanding operating temperatures from -13ºF to 185ºF (-25ºC to 85 ºC'.

What made me think is that once I finished the program (link in the first post), I was playing with the dnsLookup function of the ethercard library. I couldn't get it to work, the function times out after 30 seconds. I've tried it quite a few times. I assume during the 30 seconds the chip on the module is working, that is, producing heat. But I wouldn't think it is anywhere near the aforementioned 85 ºC.

Peter