SD Card not Initializing whatsoever on Arduino Uno

I recently bought a Micro SD Breakout Board and SD Card from Adafruit. Since I'm new to programming and working with SD Cards on the Arduino, I took a look at their SD Card setup tutorial and used the "CardInfo" sketch that came PRE-INSTALLED on the Arduino to confirm my SD Card was operational and ready to manage. However, upon attempting to upload and use the serial monitor to view the information of my SD Card, the program returned this error message:

"Initializing SD card...initialization failed. Things to check:

• is a card inserted?
  • is your wiring correct?
  • did you change the chipSelect pin to match your shield or module?"

I am using a 4 GB SanDisk Micro SD Card that I already formatted and is FAT32 and is definitely inserted correctly.

I checked my circuit so many times and I know it isn't the issue. Here is my wiring:

SD GND --> Arduino GND
SD 5V --> Arduino 5V
SD CLK --> Pin 13
SD DO --> Pin 12
SD DI --> Pin 11
SD CS --> Pin 10

Power is being supplied via computer USB (of course) and I think it should also be noted that I soldered the pins together on my breakout board.

I researched FOR HOURS many different solutions that would help alleviate this ordeal of mine but without any luck such as:

Making sure the CS pin matched chipSelect, which was also 10, in the program.

Connecting the power wire of the breakout board to 3.3V.

Added these two statements in my code IN setup BEFORE the Serial.begin(9600) declaration and AFTER Serial.print("\nInitializing SD card..."); :

pinMode(10, OUTPUT); digitalWrite(10, HIGH);

Reset the Arduino

Changing the CS wire to pin 4 on the Arduino

Connected the Power Pin to VCC

What Arduino are you using?
If it is an Ardunio Mega or an Arduino Due, it has different SPI pins.

Sorry. Just saw the title now.
Your breakout board might be defective or your micro SD card might be broken.

abyun819:
Sorry. Just saw the title now.
Your breakout board might be defective or your micro SD card might be broken.

Aw man, that sucks. I definitely won't be able to order another SD Card or Breakout Board before Monday, because that is the due date for my Science Fair Project's completion(Yes, that is what I am competing for). I really can't continue the construction of my prototype without it too. I guess I'll just have to communicate my results of what happened and why I think was the issue and how I can fix it in the future.

Ceejay327:
I am using a 4 GB SanDisk Micro SD Card that I already formatted...

But you didn't say that you formatted the card per the instructions in this sticky at the top of the forum topic list (and in Adafruit's instructions). Did you? If not, do it.

And, it never hurts to include nice, clear photos of the exact wiring that produced the error, and the exact code used with that wiring that produced the error.

Ceejay327:
I recently bought a Micro SD Breakout Board and SD Card from Adafruit. Since I'm new to programming and working with SD Cards on the Arduino, I took a look at their SD Card setup tutorial and used the "CardInfo" sketch that came PRE-INSTALLED on the Arduino to confirm my SD Card was operational and ready to manage. However, upon attempting to upload and use the serial monitor to view the information of my SD Card, the program returned this error message:

"Initializing SD card...initialization failed. Things to check:

• is a card inserted?
  • is your wiring correct?
  • did you change the chipSelect pin to match your shield or module?"

I am using a 4 GB SanDisk Micro SD Card that I already formatted and is FAT32 and is definitely inserted correctly.

I checked my circuit so many times and I know it isn't the issue. Here is my wiring:

SD GND --> Arduino GND
SD 5V --> Arduino 5V
SD CLK --> Pin 13
SD DO --> Pin 12
SD DI --> Pin 11
SD CS --> Pin 10

Power is being supplied via computer USB (of course) and I think it should also be noted that I soldered the pins together on my breakout board.

I researched FOR HOURS many different solutions that would help alleviate this ordeal of mine but without any luck such as:

Making sure the CS pin matched chipSelect, which was also 10, in the program.

Connecting the power wire of the breakout board to 3.3V.

Added these two statements in my code IN setup BEFORE the Serial.begin(9600) declaration and AFTER Serial.print("\nInitializing SD card..."); :

pinMode(10, OUTPUT); digitalWrite(10, HIGH);

Reset the Arduino

Changing the CS wire to pin 4 on the Arduino

Connected the Power Pin to VCC

I know this is of little help my friend, but I have exactly the same problem. I have 3 memory cards that I tried, I formatted them all using the official SD card formatter, I tried every combination of card select pin 4,8,10 no difference. I did get it to display the card data when I accidentally knocked the Gnd wire out of the SD card power connection, when I put it back in the serial display showed the card data !.

I have also asked a question, but yours is so very eloquently composed with all the required information, I'm going to follow yours to see if you get a solution.

I want mine to work as a GPS data logger, I get the GPS to work but am stuck with the SD card, it seems so strange that this is so problematic.

Ok :), Just got mine working. After the sketch loaded I just assumed all was ok, but there was an error message regarding multiple SD.h files. I deleted all except the one in my User\ name\ Arduino\ library folder ond now it passes the basic test and lists the card content, now to move on to the GPS project. Please look at the end of your screen messages to see if you are getting informative info, if not, update your SD library, hope this helpd