SD card not present in Yun

Hello,
I recently (last week) purchased a Yun. I seems that the openwrt build is from April 11, 2014. Time to upgrade. I purchased a Toshiba 64 Gb microSD card and plugged it in. (see photo) (To my feeling, I couldn’t get the card far enough in, didn’t want to force it tough)

Ok, next I ran the YunDiskSpaceExpander sketch to see if the Yun recognizes the SD card (and later to put the upgrade on it) but the sketch says that the card is not available ???
Should I use a litte force to put it in ??

Can anybody help ?

Thx
Leo

looking at the back of the yun with the card reader on the right, the sd card should have the connections downwards facing the board, and the card should go about half way in

LeoTimmermans:
::::SNIP::::
Should I use a litte force to put it in ??

Can anybody help ?

@LeoTimmermans,
I checked my Yun. It appears you have the SD all the way in. Since you purchased the SD brand new, it is not a format problem. (Often people use old SD from cameras and such, and it fails). I’m tending to think it might be too big. I see lots of people using 8GB & 16GB, but not larger. I’m not saying 64 won’t work, I just don’t see people using 64.

You can try to SSH into your Yun and see if it sees it, but does not have the driver. You can check at the command line two ways. But you’ll need to boot up twice.

Instructions

1. Remove SD from Yun. Power up. Login or use YunSerialTerminal to get to the command line on the Linux side of the Yun.

2. Then at the command line run dmesg and ls -l /dev/

3. now repeat #1 & #2, except plugin the SD card.

Let us know how it goes.
Post results from the YunSerialTerminal, if you are still having problems.
Please use markup when posting results. (See attachment below.)
Jesse

arduino_markup.png

Did you format the card?

From the SDFat page on Github: https://github.com/greiman/SdFat

The best way to restore an SD card's format is to use SDFormatter which can be downloaded from:

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

SDFormatter aligns flash erase boundaries with file system structures which reduces write latency and file system overhead.

I’m using 32 GB cards with no problems. I don’t know if I’ve seen anybody use larger.

My first step would be to try the card in a computer or other device. If it’s recognized, try formatting it there. Also, see if you can actually copy 64 GB onto the card and still properly read things back (there are a distressing number of fake large capacity cards that are really much smaller, but that doesn’t show up until you use up the actual capacity of the card or try to format it.)

Any existing format on the card shouldn’t really matter: pretty much the first thing that the disk expander sketch does is partition and reformat the SD card.

jessemonroy650:
Instructions

1. Remove SD from Yun. Power up. Login or use YunSerialTerminal to get to the command line on the Linux side of the Yun.

2. Then at the command line run dmesg and ls -l /dev/

3. now repeat #1 & #2, except plugin the SD card.

I would add a step between 2 and 3: after capturing the information from step 2, insert the SD card and repeat the dmesg command: there should be some new messages at the end showing the attempt to mount the SD card. They could be interesting to see. Then, with the SD card in, repeat steps 1 and 2 (cycle power and capture output) so Jesse can compare the two boot sequences.

LeoTimmermans: Ok, next I ran the YunDiskSpaceExpander sketch to see if the Yun recognizes the SD card (and later to put the upgrade on it)

I just re-read this. What do you mean by "put the upgrade on it" later?

The YunDiskExpander sketch reformats the SD card, creating a system and data partition. It then expands the system image onto the system partition, so that you are essentially booting off of the SD card (it's actually a little more complicated than that) in order to have more room to install packages into the system.

The way I read the above is that you may be thinking the sketch is a way to prepare the SD card for regular use? If so, that's not true: all you need to do is format the card (if it isn't already) and plug it in. You should be able to access the card at /dev/sda1.

Can't find the reference right now, but I seem to recall that the SD card reader used in the Yun only supports SDHC cards, which have a size limit of 32GB. A 64GB SD card would be a SDXC card (which allows up to 2TB) and therefor isn't likely to work, no matter what...

Ralf

PCWorxLA: I seem to recall that the SD card reader used in the Yun only supports SDHC cards, which have a size limit of 32GB.

I seem to recall reading the same thing about SDHC support somewhere. Didn't realize the size limit though, guess I got lucky when I bought all those 32GB cards last year...

PCWorxLA: Can't find the reference right now, but I seem to recall that the SD card reader used in the Yun only supports SDHC cards, which have a size limit of 32GB. A 64GB SD card would be a SDXC card (which allows up to 2TB) and therefor isn't likely to work, no matter what...

Ralf

@PCWorxLA, I thought I saw something like that also, and I even searched the OpenWrt website with no luck. If anyone finds this information, please post a link. I will document it. Jesse

LeoTimmermans: ::::SNIP::::

Can anybody help ?

@LeoTimmermans, It looks like the biggest SD you can use is 32GB.

As SunnyYu points to in his link, in Dec of 2013 someone ask the exact question we are asking.

The answer reads as such:

Then SonnyYu quotes wikipedia

HC - high capacity XC - eXtended capacity

Micro SD is 2 GB and below. Micro SD - HC is between 4 and 32 GB. Micro SD - XC is 32 GB to 2 TB

Arduino Yún support microSD and microSDHC

There you have it. Thanks Again SunnyYu, and thanks to thomas-c for doing that background work in Dec of 2013. I'll get this documented. Jesse

jessemonroy650: ...up to version 2.0 (SDHC). (The webpage is gone. The link is to the wayback machine.) ...

AU6350 is obsoleted and replaced by AU6353?

AU6353 Techsheet

Complies with Secure Digital Card (SD) specification up to ver. 3.0(SDXC).

For future reference:

AU6350 Techsheet

Support SD spec up to ver. 2.0 (SDHC).

Sonny Yu

Hello All,

Thanks for the many help provided. I went out to get a new SDHC card of 16 Gb.
Unfortunately, I’ve still the same problem. “micro sd card not available” :’( :’(

I fetched the card into my PC and it is recognized immediately …

I’m wondering whether it has something to do with my ‘old’ build op the OpenWrt (11 april 2014)

I’ve included in jpg the output of ls /dev/ and dmesg before and after insert of the sd card

(I want the sd card because of extra space and want to upgrade to openwrt 1.5.8)

Tkx
Leo

at Dia6.JPG

sda is new SDHC card of 16 Gb.

Install fdisk:

opkg update
opkg install fdisk

Partitioning "/dev/sda":

fdisk /dev/sda

Tutorial partitioning with fdisk

Expand the Yún disk space

Thanks

Plugged SD card in, restart Yun,
SSH into Yun, opkg update & opkg install fdisk /dev/sda

→ does not work :’( :’( (see png)

???

A prudent question, should it no be sda1 (sda is already present in ls when sd card in not plugged in)

Thanks
Leo

The card always shows up as /dev/sda1 for me.

Output of:

dmesg  |grep sda

Mine:

[   11.520000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 32372736 512-byte logical blocks: (16.5 GB/15.4 GiB)
[   11.520000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[   11.530000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00

If no output:

metal springs at micro SD card socket

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=248402.msg1826083#msg1826083

micro SD card socket.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=248402.msg1825976#msg1825976

LeoTimmermans:
→ does not work :’( :’( (see png)

@LeoTimmermans,
please don’t use images. They are hard to analyse. The font is too small.
Purple on black is hard to read. Please use Copy & Paste.
And please use markups; see below.
Jesse

arduino_markup.png

Hey you all,

Thanks for the tremendous help :wink: :wink:

Managed to ‘play’ a little with the metal strips and it WORKS !!!

SD is found and installed, upgrade to latest version of OpenWrt succesfull.

Thanks a lot again !!!

Leo