SD Card Project - Possible?

Hi All,

I'm new here at while not new to Arduino, I've not yet embarked upon any projects, but now I may have a need for something and I need your opinions on IF it can be done and if so, what (at a high level) it would take to do it.

Scenario - I have a client that has thousands of specialty mobile phones (not smart phones) that need to have their operating software upgraded in the field. And the field is defined as "across the United States".

The phones do not support OTA updates - they are not smartphones by any measure. The only way to upgrade them is by installation of a standard SD card (not SIM card) into each phone. The SD slots in the cards are internal and underneath the battery, so upgrading tens or hundreds of these at a time is a hassle, even if there is a 1:1 ratio of SD cards to phones.

When the phone is powered on with the new SD card, of course it can see the card and with a few keystrokes the upgrade is finished in 3 - 7 minutes including dis-assembly and re-assembly.

I'd like to know if there is a way to create something that can hold one SD card and transmit the SW image to multiple phones (say up to 20) simultaneously. The keystrokes that initiate the upgrade can remain manual if absolutely necessary; we're trying to eliminate the time and expense it takes to flash and manage thousands of SD cards and make the actual upgrade a little faster. When you're talking about tens of thousands of phones, every minute saved adds up to a lot of time and time is money.

For lack of better terminology, I'll call this "thing" an SD Octopus cable or perhaps "Reverse SD Card Replicator"

I can't find anything out there that can accomplish this, and assume that it must be built using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, or similar.

I'd like your thoughts on this and if you'd like to contact me directly, the addy is bruceDOTgettelATmyactvDOTnet.

Thanks in advance to all who read and/or reply.

BG

I'd like to know if there is a way to create something that can hold one SD card and transmit the SW image to multiple phones (say up to 20) simultaneously.

When the phone boots and "sees" the SD card it sees it as an interface to the phone's microprocessor. Firmware in the phone will then "mount" the card filing system. If there is a signature-file on the card that represents the magic name for firmware upgrade, that process will begin (or it can be forced manually with keystrokes assuming that is how the update is written.)

Arduino can be programmed with firmware to mount a card and subsequently read/write it. However, to project an interface to another microprocessor would require that the Arduino implement an entirely separate interface exactly the same as an SD card. I personally have never seen this done, but it may be do-able.

Please repost this in the Storage section of the Forum. Also, you may wish to send a PM to member Fat16lib http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=profile;u=8332 and forward your forum link, asking him to read and respond. Do not abuse the PM, simply a link and a short request.

Ray

Browse VUB300 here in the forum - a project is underway to allow an SD card to be interfaced from a PC (or phone in your case) or from an Arduino using analog switch to select which one controls the SD card.

This is helpful already, and I think both of you for taking the time to respond.

I'm deleting this same topic in Storage as we've begun discussions here - please don't crosspost.

Understood, and simply as an FYI:

Please repost this in the Storage section of the Forum. Also, you may wish to send a PM to member Fat16lib http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=profile;u=8332 and forward your forum link, asking him to read and respond. Do not abuse the PM, simply a link and a short request.

Ray

@mrburnette - hold your wrist out so I can slap it! Don't encourage cross posting please.

@mrburnette - hold your wrist out so I can slap it! Don't encourage cross posting please.

reposting is not cross posting... You simply needed to delete/merge this content with the one in "Storage" which is a more appropriate forum, IMO.

But, slap me twice, one for suggesting cross posting and once for my insolence ... :fearful: Oh, that feels soooo good!

Ray