SD Shield, SPI Conflicting

Hi Everyone,

I have a puzzler - hopefully it's just something simple I'm overlooking.

I'm using an Arduino Uno, the Sparkfun MicroSD shield and a Linear Tech LTC1859 Demo Board (DC682) that has an 8-channel, 16-bit A/D. The SD shield and A/D are using the SPI lines. The main program reads four channels on the A/D and then the plan was to have the data written to the SD card. The attached code only shows me writing the last A/D data to the SD card as a test. It’s just a mashup of my A/D driver and the SDFat ReadWrite in the IDE examples.

The first pass through the A/D gives the right data and the data is written to the SD card – so far so good. The second pass the A/D data is incorrect. Throwing a data analyzer on the lines shows that the MISO line performs correctly the first pass but once the SD card is invoked the MISO line goes high and has sporadic data spikes (assumedly from the A/D) until it comes time to write to the SD. The SD appears to work fine, but I can’t get a good look at the MISO line – it goes too fast.

Here are some things I’ve tried so far…
--ran the code segments separately and they work
--switched from SD library to SDFat library
--disabled the chip select for the SD card (pin 4) prior to reading A/D
--isolated the MISO off the SD card using FET and relay switches
--changed speeds for the SDFat (SPI_EIGHTH_SPEED , SPI_QUARTER_SPEED, SPI_FULL_SPEED)

I’m on a timeline also – so I may have to move forward with the rest of the project and revisit this topic later – so if my responses are slow it’s because I’m trying to get the other stuff done.

Thanks for listening! - -Leah

Here’s the code…

/*
  Linear Tech LTC1859 Demo Board (DC682) & Arduino Uno
  3/27/13 
  Leah Martinez

This is a generalized driver for the LTC1859 A/D.  Please see the datasheet for complete details:
  http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/185789fa.pdf

This example controls multimple channels using a linear tech a/d converter
  on their DC682 demo board.  The connections to J1 on the demo board are as follows:

SPI Line                             MOSI MISO
 Arduino Connection         GND        11  12 GND +5V
                             |          |  |  |  |
                            13  11  9   7  5  3  1
                            14  12  10  8  6  4  2
                                        |  |  |  |                            
 Arduino Connection                    GND 10 13 +5V
 SPI Line                                  CS SCK

*/

#include <SPI.h>  //Arduino's SPI library
#include <Statistic.h>  //This is a non-standard Arduino library.  It is not normally downloaded as part of the IDE.
                        //The code was obtained from the Arduino playground:
                        //http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/Statistics
#include <SdFat.h> //include the SDFat library
SdFat sd;            
SdFile myFile;

unsigned int  AD_data;  //returned AtoD data
int A_D_ChipSelect = 10;  //chip select for AtoD
boolean AtoD_Diff_Mode = false;  //use the AtoD in the single-ended mode.
int AtoD_Range = 1;  //this is the range for 0-5V
int AtoD_PowerMode = 0;  //power mode is "on"
int AtoD_No_Of_Readings = 10;  //number of readings to average for each A/D call
Statistic myStats;  //name for Statistic object

int SD_ChipSelect = 4;  //chip select for SD card

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);  //start serial comm at 9600 baud
  Serial.print("Statistics lib version =  ");
  Serial.println(STATISTIC_LIB_VERSION);
  myStats.clear(); //explicitly start clean

//set SPI parameters for AtoD
  pinMode(10, OUTPUT);  //must set this as an output even if the SPI enable is on a different pin for the device
  SPI.begin();  // wake up the SPI bus.

}

void loop()
{

for(int i = 6; i > -1; i-=2)  //read channels 0,2,4,6
    {
     AD_data = Read_A_D(A_D_ChipSelect, AtoD_Diff_Mode, i, AtoD_Range, AtoD_PowerMode, AtoD_No_Of_Readings); //call the a/d function for channel i
     Serial.print("Channel "); 
     Serial.print(i);  //print the Channel number to the monitor  
     Serial.print(" Counts = ");
     Serial.println(AD_data, DEC);  //print out the counts to the monitor

delay(1000);  //pause for a second to review data
    }
     Write_To_SD_Card(SD_ChipSelect, AD_data);

}

//***********************          AtoD Read Function         *************************************************************
int Read_A_D(int CS_A_D, boolean Differential_Mode, int A_D_Channel, int Input_Range, int Power_Mode, int NumberOfReadings)
{
pinMode(4,OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(4,HIGH);

SPI.setBitOrder(MSBFIRST);  //set the MSB first per data sheet
  SPI.setDataMode(SPI_MODE0);  //set SPI mode to CPOL = 0, CPHA = 0 per data sheet
  SPI.setClockDivider(SPI_CLOCK_DIV4);  //max speed of AtoD 4MHz = 16MHz/4 (16MHz=clk speed of Arduino)

byte data_array_1[100];  //AtoD data returned as one of two bytes
  byte data_array_2[100]; //AtoD data returned as two of two bytes

unsigned int Counts_A_D;  //this is the returned value

//           Channel Selection                      
                                    //| 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | COM |A_D_Channel|
  byte Channel_Selection[] = {0x00, //| + | - |   |   |   |   |   |   |     | diff 0+   |
                              0x40, //| - | + |   |   |   |   |   |   |     | diff 1+   |
                              0x10, //|   |   | + | - |   |   |   |   |     | diff 2+   |
                              0x50, //|   |   | - | + |   |   |   |   |     | diff 3+   |
                              0x20, //|   |   |   |   | + | - |   |   |     | diff 4+   |
                              0x60, //|   |   |   |   | - | + |   |   |     | diff 5+   |
                              0x30, //|   |   |   |   |   |   | + | - |     | diff 6+   |
                              0x70, //|   |   |   |   |   |   | - | + |     | diff 7+   |
                              0x80, //| + |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |  -  |    0      |
                              0xC0, //|   | + |   |   |   |   |   |   |  -  |    1      |
                              0x90, //|   |   | + |   |   |   |   |   |  -  |    2      |
                              0xD0, //|   |   |   | + |   |   |   |   |  -  |    3      |
                              0xA0, //|   |   |   |   | + |   |   |   |  -  |    4      |
                              0xE0, //|   |   |   |   |   | + |   |   |  -  |    5      |
                              0xB0, //|   |   |   |   |   |   | + |   |  -  |    6      |
                              0xF0, //|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | + |  -  |    7      |                 
                              };

//        Input Range Selection 
                                       //| UNI | GAIN | INPUT RANGE|Input_Range|
  byte Input_Range_Selection[] ={0x00, //|  0  |  0   |   +/- 5V   |    0      |
                                 0x08, //|  1  |  0   |  0V to 5V  |    1      |
                                 0x04, //|  0  |  1   |   +/- 10V  |    2      |
                                 0x0C, //|  0  |  1   |  0V to 10V |    3      | 
                                 }; 

//Power Down Selection 
                                    //| NAP | SLEEP | POWER DOWN MODE|Power_Mode| 
  byte Power_Selection[] =   {0x00, //|  0  |   0   |      Power On  |    0    |
                              0x02, //|  1  |   0   |         Nap    |    1    |
                              0x01, //|  X  |   1   |        Sleep   |    2    |
                              0x03, //                               |    3    |
                              };

if(!Differential_Mode)  // if differential mode was not slected then...
    {  
        A_D_Channel = A_D_Channel + 8;  // ...switch to single ended mode
    }

byte A_D_Cmd = Channel_Selection[A_D_Channel] | Input_Range_Selection[Input_Range] | Power_Selection[Power_Mode];  //build the command to be sent to the AtoD

//Throw away the first reading........................... 
    digitalWrite(CS_A_D, LOW);  //enable the AtoD on the SPI line
    delay(10);  //allow AtoD set-up time
    SPI.transfer(A_D_Cmd);  //transfer command byte
    SPI.transfer(0x00);  //transfer second command byte - all zero's
    delay(10);  //allow AtoD set-up time; 
    digitalWrite(10, HIGH);  //disable the AtoD on the SPI line

//Start readings
    for(int j = 0; j < NumberOfReadings; j++) //Take the number of readings
    {
        digitalWrite(CS_A_D, LOW);  //enable the AtoD on the SPI line
        delay(10);  //allow AtoD set-up time
        data_array_1[j] = SPI.transfer(A_D_Cmd);  //transfer command byte
        data_array_2[j] = SPI.transfer(0x00);  //transfer second command byte - all zero's
        Counts_A_D = (data_array_1[j])<<8;  //shift data1 8 to the left and place into counts
        Counts_A_D = Counts_A_D | data_array_2[j];  //or data2 with data1 for complete counts word
        myStats.add(Counts_A_D);  //add the tempcounts to the stats heap 
        digitalWrite(CS_A_D, HIGH);  //disable the AtoD on the SPI line
    }

if(NumberOfReadings > 1)           // if enough data points to average then...
    {
        Counts_A_D = myStats.average(); //...get the average number of counts... 
    }                                  //...otherwise just return the the counts Counts_A_D

myStats.clear();                //clear the stats queue

return Counts_A_D;  // return the counts to the caller
}

//***********************         SD Write/Read Function         *************************************************************
void Write_To_SD_Card(int chipSelect, int last_data)
{

// Initialize SdFat or print a detailed error message and halt
  // Use half speed like the native library.
  // change to SPI_FULL_SPEED for more performance.
  if (!sd.begin(chipSelect, SPI_HALF_SPEED)) sd.initErrorHalt();

// open the file for write at end like the Native SD library
  if (!myFile.open("test.txt", O_RDWR | O_CREAT | O_AT_END)) {
    sd.errorHalt("opening test.txt for write failed");
  }
  // if the file opened okay, write to it:
  Serial.print("Writing to test.txt...");
  myFile.println(last_data);

// close the file:
  myFile.close();
  Serial.println("done.");

// re-open the file for reading:
  if (!myFile.open("test.txt", O_READ)) {
    sd.errorHalt("opening test.txt for read failed");
  }
  Serial.println("test.txt:");

// read from the file until there's nothing else in it:
  int data;
  while ((data = myFile.read()) >= 0) Serial.write(data);
  // close the file:
  myFile.close();
}

Sorry - one last item - I also made changes to the SD library per this link http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/running-multiple-slave-devices-on-arduino-spi-bus It also didn't work.

Do you mean this microSD shield?

If so, that SD SPI slave select is D8, not D4. But this should have taken care of that without modifying the library.

if(SD.begin(8) == 0) Serial.println("SD fail");

This is from your code:

int SD_ChipSelect = 4;  //chip select for SD card

HI SurferTim - good catch - I was using the wrong chip select. I went back and updated the chipselect to pin 8 and got the same results - rats!!

Put this in setup. "Set it, and forget it!". Call it once only.

if (!sd.begin(chipSelect, SPI_HALF_SPEED)) sd.initErrorHalt();

I'll guess this is SDFat, not the standard SD library.

Hi SurferTim - I placed the sd.begin() statement in the set-up of the main program as you suggested and IT WORKED! Many thanks for your help!!!!

Hi help me with same project , please send me to mail sketch and aditional file as a lib. Thank you . email: luk48x@gmail.com