sdcard does is need CS to a pin?

i'm using this wiring http://lab.dejaworks.com/arduino-nano-sd-card-connection/ on a Nano, but wondering do i need the chip select if only one device on SPI bus? can i just wire it low or something?

thx

Many SPI devices require CS to go high to signal the end of a transaction. I don't remember for SD cards. You could try it easily enough.

you're right, easy to try. i just grounded CS on the SD card board and it seems to be working fine.

i set chipSelect = 13; because pin 13 is used for a diagnostic buzzer thing so not super important. but it would be nice if there was a way too turn off CS in the library

steveh2112:
i set chipSelect = 13; because pin 13 is used for a diagnostic buzzer thing so not super important.

So your pin 13 serves as CS, diagnostic buzzer and SPI-CLK?

That’s a hard job for that poor pin.

steveh2112: but it would be nice if there was a way too turn off CS in the library

Use an unexistent pin number, but don't leave it blank because otherwise it will default to pin 10.

Whandall:
So your pin 13 serves as CS, diagnostic buzzer and SPI-CLK?

That’s a hard job for that poor pin.

my mistake, i put the buzzer on pin 3

but i think you have a point, about a hard job for the pin, i think i need to put a transistor buffer in there or something to get it louder