Seatbelt Sensor and Detector (Anyone good with schematic or coding, I need you)

Hello Fellow Programmers!

I am relatively new to the logistics of hardware and software and am desperately looking for advice!

I am enrolled in an engineering course at my school, and we all have a final project that we need to present
to judges. I am not looking for idea's for a project, but more advice and help on how to carry my project out.

My Idea is a device that would be able to detect when someone is not wearing a seatbelt. This seemed like a useful creation due to most states trying to crack down on seat belt neglectors. I am planning on just making a rather messy prototype with an arduino, and I think I know what I need to do, but not how to do it.

It will probably use some sort of pressure sensor in a seat to actually determine if someone is actually in the seat, where it will then use a logic gate to send out a signal if the pressure sensor is detecting an occupant and the seat belt (Or quite possibly a switch) is not activated. Then there will be a device that would tell you if the seat belt is off.

If anyone has any ideas to revise my plan, I am open to anything. I am really just looking for anyone who could help out with schematics and a code for this project. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most cars these days have that built in already. You could either hack the sensors that are already there, or even easier just sniff the data off the OBD2 port on the car.

Duplicate shorter post in another forum has been deleted.

I really do apperciate that advise, but I am extremely new to programming and hardware...

I can't really do much on an arduino let alone a car...

zizick123:
I really do apperciate that advise, but I am extremely new to programming and hardware...

Well you'd better get started learning. Nobody is going to just hand you a schematic and code. We can help answer specific questions that pop up. But this isn't a place to get your homework done for you for free.

Have you searched the internet to see if you can find any examples of using a pressure sensor like that? I would think a load cell might be a better choice.

zizick123:

Then why do you choose this as final project for your engineering course, rather than something that's closer to the content of that course?

Unless you consider this a major learning opportunity - as you'll have quite some learning to do if you want to make this work.

Just so you guys are aware...

I am only a sophomore in highschool.

I can see why you think that it is a little over my head, and now that I see it, I agree. I am not trying to look for someone to do this for me, I just would like a little idea about how the program would work and ideas for the electronic layout. I know that I need to start learning, but I was just looking for a little bit of direction.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. If anyone thinks that this wouldn't work out for me, please let me know.

Just like that...you guys pushed a poor kid out of STEM destined to a life of digging ditches....

This is very simple. Esp if you only need a mock up, or proof of concept. You could mash up a few ready made arduino examples and get there.

Modern cars have 2 stage seatbelt checks. Someone in the seat...and is belt buckled.

This means 2 sensors. A lever switch be nice to show a pep in seat. And a contact switch (the insertion of buckle completes the circuit) switch has the other sensor.

Both of these are basic digital button/switch reads. Easy Pesy. Example in arduino ui. You'll just need to get cleaver on mock up.

Last...for sizzle...I'd do an led output light...that indicate a driver in seat, yet no buckle.

Take a stab. We can help.

get a basic starter course and work through it - lots for free - Sparkfun has one that is not too bad and probably one here also - or others can point you in a good direction as should your instructor or advisor. Learn the basics first - then look at what @FullOfBadIdeas gave for an outline

Most of what I have done over the years the program started out as a plain English outline so I could get a feel for what needed to be done - then the code is easier to start -

If you get started - post what you have done and usually someone will nudge you in a good direction - as you have noticed most people are not all that excited about doing someone's homework for them

Good luck

FullOfBadIdeas:
Just like that...you guys pushed a poor kid out of STEM destined to a life of digging ditches.....

Civil engineering is definitely a future proof job. So I'm not too worried about OP ending up in that field.

Besides, if the prospect of having to dig up information and learn new things to pull off a project is too much for someone then they're not going to be a good engineer, as learning near things is part of engineering. In this case it's even something that's available commercially: as has been pointed out already most modern cars have seat belt alarms built in (of course US built cars may be behind the rest of the world in this respect - it's not just because those manufacturers ought to be bankrupt and out of business already). That's a starting point for any such project, in figuring out how they work, and mimicking that.

wvmarle:
of course US built cars may be behind the rest of the world in this respect

Not that I really want to defend US built cars, but they have the same seat belt warning systems that any other cars have. It’s mandated by law. They’re just as annoying and pushy about it as cars built anywhere.

I know. It really sucks how they do their best to keep you alive in case of an accident, right?

wvmarle:
I know. It really sucks how they do their best to keep you alive in case of an accident, right?

At the same time they're cheaping out on the airbags to maximize profits and in an accident I'm getting shot in the face with shrapnel? I guess the seat belt was there to hold me in position so they could be sure to hit me right in the face.

No they're not worried about keeping me alive in an accident. Not even close.

Thank you guys for the help!!! I know that I may be really new to this, but if I Can get a head start, I know it will help me out a lot in the long run!

So get an Arduino Uno, two push buttons, an LED and a resistor (330-1000 ohms, it doesn’t need to be exact.) Hook one side of each button to any digital pin. Try one on pin 3 and the other on pin 4. Connect the other side of the switches to the ground pin. Then hook the LED to a third digital pin, I’d pick pin 5. Be sure the longer lead (the anode) is in the Arduino pin header. Hook the resistor between the cathode and ground.

Now use the built-in examples to find snippets of code to program the Arduino so the LED is on unless both buttons are pressed. And there is your project in its most basic form.