SED1520 library?

There is a long dead thread Arduino Forum on this topic, but the code appears to have never been uploaded to arduino.cc nor google code by the then poster otacon2k. I have a 122x32 unit with 2 chips, and am seeking some guidance on the timing sequence.

http://forum.moderndevice.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=193&start=10

by bperrybap » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:14 pm
"Today I added support for SED1520 based modules."

by bperrybap » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:37 pm
"Just a final followup.
Here is the link to the arduino glcd library:"

http://code.google.com/p/glcd-arduino/

Wow, somebody actually read my posting over on the Modern devices forum.....

zaphodikus,
Yes I added sed1520 support in the current glcd v3 library.
If you are wanting to look at it for a guide for writing your own code, it is quite
complex and may be a bit difficult to isolate the simplest low level initialization sequence.

If you are wanting a full blown feature rich glcd arduino library, then the glcd v3 library
is what you are looking for.
The SED support is not as automated as the ks0108 support.
In other words, the ks0108 support has a panel and then separate pin configuration files for each different
board type. The 1520 support currently only has what is called a manual configuration file.
That is a single file that configures everything the same regardless of the arduino board type selected
in the Arduino IDE.
The reason I haven't expanded the auto configuration support
is currently I only have experience with this one device
and from my looking at SED devices, they vary quite a bit in terms of geometry and wiring.
(Makes it very hard to create a simple set of instructions of how to hook it up)
Also, with the ks0108 modules Michael and I have tested on many different panels and have been
able to fully verify timing so that it can work "out of the box" with nearly any ks0108 based panel
on any Arduino board.

For the SED1520, I currently supply a manual configuration file for the Vikay vk5121 module.
This is a 120x32 display with an EL backlight and onboard contrast circuit.

More than likely the current glcd v3 library will work with your board with little to no adjustments
given your geometry sounds similar.
But there is still the issue of how to wire it up.
Hopefully, you have an accurate data sheet that shows how to hook this up, especially
the contrast circuit portion. (some need an additional external supply for the contrast voltage)

Everything in the library is configurable, including geometry, timing, and pin mappings.

You can have a look at the existing SED1520 configuration file and see if contains all the
parameters you need. You can then alter any needed parameters to match your display and how it is wired up
to your arduino. It is pretty simple to do and the define names are pretty self explanatory.

Simply change the master config file (glcd/glcd_Config.h) to point to your config file. (normally down in glcd/config)
Then create your SED1520 configuration file.
My recommendation would be to make a copy of the supplied vk5121 configuration file (glcd/config/Modvk5121_Manual).
For clarity and debugging later, I'd also recommend that you change the ascii strings for
the panel config name and the pin config name and update the gaurd ifndef/define as well if you do make a copy
of the vk5121 header file.
The ascii strings not used by anything other than the diags sketch for diagnostic display.

If possible post a link to your datasheet and I'll have a look at it.

--- bill

^_^The Arduino forum is the boz. Thanks for the guidance, especially since I have not even got an Arduino, I bought a mega8 3 years ago, and "burned" some code into it using a printer cable I chopped in half, including the breadboard I had splashed less than £10, a victory in it-self; since then I have enjoyed the freedom of playing outside of the box and every free weekend has been spent on the avrfreaks forums; which went down all weekend the other day. Was I in need of a fix? I thought the Arduino forums was going to be full of guys playing, all just fun, but without any real experts. ,,,was I wrong.

I have probably toasted the LCD I have (I forgot to put the smoke into a glass jar with a wax seal), due to miss-understanding the wrong datasheet. But another unit is coming, so I get a second chance. I took pics Glcd identification of the LCDs, which I have now learned are totally differing chipsets. I should probably spend this evening updating the link with which datasheets I figured may work against the LCD(s) that is/are dead.