see uploaded program?

I lost track of which program I uploaded. Is it possible to see the code that has been uploaded to an Arduino UNO by looking at the Arduino itself? thanks. (not hopeful, cuz I guess only the machine code is uploaded and not the text.) I tried searching for a key word that I know is in the program, but windows explorer doesnt seem to find text inside the ino files.

jgolden:
Is it possible to see the code that has been uploaded to an Arduino UNO by looking at the Arduino itself?

I guess only the machine code is uploaded and not the text

You guess correctly.

I tried searching for a key word that I know is in the program, but windows explorer doesnt seem to find text inside the ino files.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with search in windows, but a quick google search appears to indicate you can add files with an .ino extension to the file content search, that may be your best option.

I use grepWin to search (from Windows Explorer) in any type of text file under Windows; under Linux, I use grep.

Windows nowadays seems to have a similar functionality but I have no idea of the name. You can google windows find in files and see what shows up.

My favourite Windows search tool is Agent Ransack Agent Ransack – Mythicsoft

It searches both for files and inside files

I know it does not solve your current problem but as a suggestion for the future, I always include this code in setup()

Serial.begin(38400);
 Serial.println("<Starting MyFile.ino >");

Serial.print("<Filename ");
 Serial.print(__FILE__); // double underscores
 Serial.print(' ');
 Serial.print("  Compiled on ");
 Serial.print(__DATE__);
 Serial.print(" at ");
 Serial.print(__TIME__);
 Serial.println('>');

…R

EDIT to add the missing semi colon after Filename ")

Robin2:
I know it does not solve your current problem but as a suggestion for the future, I always include this code in setup()

Serial.begin(38400);

Serial.print("<Filename ")
Serial.print(' ');
Serial.print("  Compiled on ");
Serial.print(__DATE__);
Serial.print(" at ");
Serial.print(__TIME__);
Serial.println('>');

...R

although there is a " ; " missing ( :slight_smile: ) that is something I needed. Thanks

Robin2:

Serial.begin(38400);

Serial.print("<Filename ")
Serial.print(' ');
Serial.print("  Compiled on ");
Serial.print(__DATE__);
Serial.print(" at ");
Serial.print(__TIME__);
Serial.println('>');

...R

. Needs more F()

demkat1:
although there is a " ; " missing ( :slight_smile: ) that is something I needed. Thanks

Thanks for spotting that. I have corrected it.

For some reason that is a mistake I make regularly with Serial.print statements (old age, I guess).

...R

AWOL:
. Needs more F()

Feel free to demonstrate your expertise.

I can't recall writing a program that used so much memory that the F() was obligatory. YMMV

...R

Robin2:
Feel free to demonstrate your expertise.

I can’t recall writing a program that used so much memory that the F() was obligatory. YMMV

…R

It’s not obligatory it’s a Good Habittm.
It helps avoid wheeltapper bugs

Windows finds files that have text I am searching for, and file extensions. It finds files only that have that extension and the searched text. But searching the ino files, neither search works for some reason. Wierd. I dont care for loading 2nd/3rd party software. There's gotta be a way to find this file.

jgolden:
Windows finds files that have text I am searching for, and file extensions. It finds files only that have that extension and the searched text. But searching the ino files, neither search works for some reason. Wierd. I dont care for loading 2nd/3rd party software. There's gotta be a way to find this file.

depending to "adjustments" windows may NOT reveal files located in "locked" or "hidden" directories (for example , i had a "not found" problem with a .h file in Application Data)