Seeeduino, STK500 and CVAVR

Hi

I need to program the Seeduino board (with AtMega1280), but I would like to use CVAVR. I have connected the ISP connection from the STK500 to the Seeduino board. As a start, I am trying to read the chip details using CVAVR, but get an error "STK500 error entering programming mode". When I connect the ISP back to a chip on the STK500, another chip's details are read with no problem - so the STK500 or any connection in between are not faulty.

So, for some reason there seems to be some error in communication from the STK500 to the Seeduino board (I think)...

Has anybody had a similar problem before? Thank you in advance!

Riaan

Hi

Update on progress...so for some reason CVAVR does not want to communicate with the STK500, but ChipBlasterAVR does. We are able to read the chip signature, but when we try to do some programming of the flash or erasing, we get an error. (like "STK500 error erasing device")...

Oh, yes...when reading the chip signature we get the message "unknown chip"...so we are having to disable the "check signatures" option...

So, we are still having problems with the programming of the Seeduino board. :'(

Riaan

Ok, we got it working... we had to erase the boot loader, fuse bits and lock bits using avrdude and linux. After this was done, there was not problem programming using CVAVR through the STK500 and ISP pins...

We are finding that sometimes the Seeeduino boards don't want to erase and flash - this was solved by holding down the reset button while programming...

use:

avrdude -c stk500v2 -p m1280 -P "your port name" -e -U lock:w:0x3F:m -U hfuse:w:0xDF:m -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U efuse:w:0xF8:m

Riaan