Seeing Yun in IDE Port menu

And FYI the IDE uses a pure java (so cross platform) implementation called jmdns

I have disabled the antivirus and the windows 7 firewall but still IDE can see my arduino YUN. I can ping it, I can be connected with it via usb and telnet via IP and it is on the same network with the pc.

Can I manually add my arduino yun IP at the IDE port menu?

Currently, no. Can you add an issue on the IDE github? https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues?state=open

My 2 cents;-

Yun in IDE Port menu need to meet 2 conditions: 1. Yun Bonjour service is working. 2. Windows' UDP port 5353 is open.

Download Bonjour Browser first.

http://hobbyistsoftware.com/bonjourBrowser

If Arduino no show, please reinstall Bonjour for windows.

1. From the Start menu, select Control Panel.
  2. If you are using Windows XP, double-click Add / Remove programs.
  3. If you are using Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 , double-click Programs and Features.
  4. Locate Bonjour list, select it and click Remove.
  5. In a Web browser, access the site http://support.apple.com/kb/DL999
  6. Download and install Bonjour for Windows on your Windows system.
  7. You will be prompted to install on a desktop shortcut to the wizard for adding a printer.
  8. If you choose No, you can still access the wizard.
  9. Click on All Programs.
  10. Select Bonjour, Bonjour Printer Wizard and then choose from the menu.

after confirm Bonjour is working restart arduino IDE.

Problem solved after installing Bonjour Browser 2 times.

Thank you very much for your support.

The Arduino IDE itself is written in Java, and it can communicate to the Arduino via the Java library. Sometime you need reinstall Java runtime as well as Arduino IDE.

1. From the Start menu, select Control Panel.
  2. If you are using Windows XP, double-click Add / Remove programs.
  3. If you are using Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 , double-click Programs and Features.
  4. Locate Java list, select it and click Remove.

Manually download and install Java for my Windows computer

Java Downloads for All Operating Systems

1. Locate Arduino list, select it and click Remove.

Download the Arduino Software

hi there, i have discovered that this issue is particularly problematic when the wifi signal is "weak" or average at best (like 2 bars), can anyone verify this? on stronger signals (3-5 bars) i don't encounter this problem of not seeing the YUN ip address in the IDE Ports menu.

i have concluded that it is indeed an IDE problem because i can ping the YUN's ip add as well as connect to it via the browser but no such luck with the IDE, i'd have a hard time uploading sketches to it.

i hope there is a way to resolve this. sonnyyu, i have done everything you instructed but no improvement :(

First test the system with ethernet connection. If it works then wifi is the problem. Second since Yun use Wifi 2.4 Ghz, it could be very crowd, use android phone/pad by play store download application wifi Analyzer. Then find out unuse channel switch to. ( at your router)

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=203676.msg1503265#msg1503265

To confirm wifi Signal level:
at linino console;-

/usr/bin/pretty-wifi-info.lua

where give you wifi info

Current WiFi configuration
SSID: TP-LINK_2.4GHz
Mode: Client
Signal: 100%
Encryption method: WPA PSK (CCMP)
Interface name: wlan0
Active for: 28 minutes
IP address: 192.168.0.103/255.255.255.0
MAC address: 90:A2:DA:F0:06:76
RX/TX: 914/268 KBs

or you could use Arduino IDE, at Example->Bridge->WiFiStatus upload Sketch then open serial monitor to view.

Sometime you will have difficulty to access Arduino via "http://arduino.local/" even Arduino is working fine at ip address. in other word you could access Arduino via http://ipaddressofarduino/. To find out ipaddressofarduino:

Using android phone/pad via play store download application Bonjour Browser. It will give you Arduino IP address.

An other way to get ip address of Ethernet via arduino ATmega32u4 sketch.

Arduino IDE->Examples->Bridge->YunSerialTernimal, upload it to ATmega32u4, open Arduino IDE-> Tools->Serial Monitor, then type "~2" ( without quotation marks) , You will get Linino console. type "ifconfig" ( without quotation marks) to get all the ip address.

To reset Yun back to factory default, type "/usr/bin/reset-to-factory-anyway" ( without quotation marks). at Serial Monitor

During Wifi setup stage the wifi Signal level might not be stabilize. Disable wifi-live-or-reset might help.

nano /etc/rc.local
#wifi-live-or-reset
exit 0

Some 32u4 USB port is missing, here is the reason: The 32u4 at Yun creates a serial instance whenever it runs its bootloader. The board is an instance of USB's Connected Device Class (CDC) driver. if bootloader is missing then USB port is gone.

Here is solution:

sonnyyu: You need reflash correct bootloader.

nano /usr/bin/run-avrdude Change the efuse value from FB to CB

#!/bin/sh

echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio21/value avrdude -c linuxgpio -C /etc/avrdude.conf -p m32u4 -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD8:m -U efuse:w:0xCB:m -Uflash:w:$1:i $2 echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio21/value

1. flash bootloader only

/usr/bin/run-avrdude    /etc/arduino/Caterina-Yun.hex ```

1. flash sketch only ( save memory)
/usr/bin/run-avrdude    /tmp/Blink.cpp.hex
  1. flash sketch+bootloader
cd /tmp
/usr/bin/merge-sketch-with-bootloader.lua  /tmp/Blink.cpp.hex
/usr/bin/run-avrdude    /tmp/Blink.cpp.hex

Blink.cpp.hex 's size is 14450, the new Blink.cpp.hex after merge is 25372. Blink.cpp.hex is from blink example.

1. flash bootloader only will do trick.

Can you please give more detailed instructions to flash bootloader only? Thank you.

Plan A/Using linino:

Change the efuse value from FB to CB

nano /usr/bin/run-avrdude
#!/bin/sh

echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio21/value
avrdude -c linuxgpio -C /etc/avrdude.conf -p m32u4 -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD8:m -U efuse:w:[color=red][b]0xCB[/b][/color]:m -Uflash:w:$1:i $2
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio21/value

flash bootloader only

/usr/bin/run-avrdude    /etc/arduino/Caterina-Yun.hex

Plan B/using an external programmer:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/installing-an-arduino-bootloader/what-is-a-bootloader

For new install system only! make sure Yun show up at COM & LPT.

If it is not there then install the driver.

thegreatestdjhero: i just looked it up on google code 28 mean the drivers are not installed meaning the drivers did not install during setup heres what you do

1.go to contorl panel -> system and secrity -> under system there is Device manager Click it 2. under other devices there maybe two or more devices without drivers for the arduino there is only one device its a serual port i think i can't remember the name of it anyways 3. right click the device that you've want to install the driver -> properites -> driver tab -> update driver -> browse my computer manualy -> let me pick the driver -> click have disk -> browse 4. browse the install dir for 64-bit it maybe in %systemdrive%/program files/arduino/drivers/arduino.inf or in %systemdrive%/program files(x86)/arduino/drivers/arduino.ini 5. click arduino.inf(arduino) and press ok and ok then chose your arduino type and then press next 6. it will install the driver without error if it has an error post the error code to the forum 7.no error then your done!

Some time you might need disable windows driver signature enforcement at windows 8 or later. I wish in future Arduino team sign the digital signature on driver. ;)

Understanding Wifi Signal Strength:
Wireless signal strength is traditionally measured in either percentile or dBm (the power ratio in decibels of the measured power referenced to one milliwatt.) The level of 100% is equivalent to the signal level of -35 dBm and higher, e.g. both -25 dBm and -15 dBm will be shown as 100%, because this level of signal is very high. The level of 1% is equivalent to the signal level of -95 dBm. Between -95 dBm and -35 dBm, the percentage scale is linear, i.e. 50% is equivalent to -65 dBm.

Get Wireless signal strength in dBm at Yun:

iwconfig 2>&1 | grep 'Signal level'
Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-37 dBm

A lot of unstable Wifi connection is related with Wifi Signal Strength, say Signal Strength is 50%/-65 dBm, to make Signal Strength -35 dBm all you need is either one 30 dBi antenna at Yun or at Router, or even 15 dBi antenna at Yun plus 15 dBi antenna at Router.

The reason external antenna is needed is:

• On board chip antenna has average Gain -0.5 dBi
  • Yun's transmit power is only 17 dBm.
  • Yun is siting at metal case.
  • The distance between Yun and WIFI router is far

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=188976.msg1580756#msg1580756

The method to boost wifi signal strength:

• Ethernet to Your Second Wifi Access Point
  • MoCA (Coaxial) to Ethernet conversion and Access Point
  • Powerline Ethernet and Access Point
  • Wi-Fi Extender/Reater

http://wi-fi-booster-review.toptenreviews.com/

Thanks for your help but I think my Yún is broken... It should detect something when I connect it to Windows, but no. Probably is the Micro USB connector that doesnt work.

When I run:

/usr/bin/run-avrdude

The output is: avrdude: AVR device not responding avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1 Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check. avrdude done. Thank you.

/etc/arduino/Caterina-Yun.hex

-ash: /etc/arduino/Caterina-Yun.hex: Permission denied