Selecting the right arduino board for project

Hi,

I'm looking to make a touch sensitive chess board with 64 different sensor pads used to trigger sounds.

I have no real idea how to do this but I plan on figuring it out along the way. However I don't wont to get halfway through and realise i should have bought i different board to start out with.

Is there a preferred arduino for using with touch sensor peripherals?

Cheers

64 inputs can be don with any Arduino (although you might need external chips and/or cleaver reading).

Most important question, what is supposed to make the sounds?

I think i'll be looking to get it trigger ableton. I guess midi programming is probably the best way to do this.

Is there an arduino that is best for midi outputting?

cheers

Midi also isn't terrible hard. If you do a quick google you can see a lot of projects using Midi. Heck, you can even search for "Arduino ableton" and find quite some projects.

Finn67:
However I don't wont to get halfway through and realise i should have bought i different board to start out with.

An Arduino Mega has the most I/O pins by a substantial margin.

Without knowing the touch sensors you plan to use it is impossible to know how they might connect to an Arduino.

If you are inexperienced with Arduinos then I suggest you start with a small part of your project - such as as one or two touch sensors and learn how to implement them.

As you learn more your concept of how to implement the project will probably change so I reckon you should expect to find yourself in the position where you need to buy some different parts.

...R