Self adjusting amplifier for signal processing

New to electronic engineering, having difficulty finding correct search words to learn more.

Hi guys, I want to create a series of logic gates which will have a low voltage input signal on one end similar to AM, and a very simple boolean output signal on the other end which I will convert into a video output.

Heres the crux though, I want some type of digital potentiometer or possibly a gain component between each logic gate, and I want that potetiometet/gain to be automatically adjusted up or down depending on the final output (the video) was correct or incorrect(determined by me).

I am wondering, is this possible? Thank you to anyone who may give me some direction in my study. Keywords I have been reading up on (gain, amplifier, rectifier, diode, signal processing, potentiometer, etc). My background is light computer programming, business, sales and construction.

A voltage comparator can create a boolean signal (below/above threshold) from analog input signals. The other comparator input can go to a pot, for manual threshold setting, or to a DAC controlled by an Arduino.

Please describe the low voltage signal. What is the source, the voltage (peak to peak) and the frequency, if applicable.

Why do you think the amplifier needs to be "self adjusting"?

A "simple boolean signal" is a 1 or a 0. Not something that you would normally consider converting to a video output.

Hi,

“Automatic Gain Control”

Is what you are looking to search for.

Tom… :slight_smile:

Electronewb11: I want to create a series of logic gates which will have a low voltage input signal on one end similar to AM, and a very simple boolean output signal on the other end which I will convert into a video output.

Sounds exactly like a X-Y Problem

You can't mix logic signals with analogue signals and you can't convert it to a video signal. Unless of course you don't mean what you write.

TomGeorge: "Automatic Gain Control"

Another term is VOGAD - or Voice Operated Gain Control used to get a consistent output for varying audio inputs.

Sounds exactly like what a 1 bit A/D converter does. It down converts and demodulates BPSK signals

Re Dr.Dietrich: Thanks I will read up on comparators.
Re jremington: I want to keep the source and the reasoning private for now because I want to make a business private. But for now lets say the frequency is 8-20hz and the voltages are less than 20 mA. The output is just a proof of concept for now, eventually having more out puts for more detailed data.
TomGeorge, KeithRB: Thanks Ill look for that

Grumpy_Mike: Sounds exactly like a X-Y Problem

You can't mix logic signals with analogue signals and you can't convert it to a video signal. Unless of course you don't mean what you write.

I don't mean to mix signals, I mean to transorm the signal from analogue to logic. I realize the output will only be either on or off and will not contain data. That is my only concern for now, if the output represented red, it will either be red, or not, no data or signal in it, except that it could flicker in response to the input signal.

I want to keep the source and the reasoning private for now because I want to make a business private.

Hard to give specific help then.

It doesn't bode well that you want to make a business and yet you said in your opening remark.

New to electronic engineering

We are keen on open source here.

I think I have confused everyone by talking about the input and output, they arent relevant to my question.

What I am stumped on:

Can I create a logic circuit, whereby the out put is controlling a microamplifier in its own logic circuit. So that for example, if at initial setting it is on, the amplifier will be turned down until the logic is set to off?

microamplifier

What is that? Is it a microphone amplifier? Are you asking if a logic signal can turn the gain down to zero or have it up to a fixed level? If so yes you can do that with a simple FET that shorts out the input to an amplifier in response to a logic level.

Electronewb11: Can I create a logic circuit, whereby the out put is controlling a microamplifier in its own logic circuit. So that for example, if at initial setting it is on, the amplifier will be turned down until the logic is set to off?

Yes, that's possible. Implementation details depend on precise requirements.

the voltages are less than 20 mA.

You might want to start your commercial venture by learning about the most basic concepts, like the meaning and units of voltage and current.

Since you're dealing with low frequencies you could continuously sample the input with analogIn, and decide what to do with the samples you obtain.

Analog inputs can have references between 1.1v and 5v typically, and have a resolution of 10 bits - ie 1024 levels.

If your input level is much bigger than 5v you can use an attenuator to get into the working range.

If much smaller a fixed gain amplifier would do the job...

regards

Allan

Hi, Do you want a circuit that no matter what the volume of the input audio, the output will always be one set level?

So as input audio goes up and down in loudness, the circuit keeps the output volume constant?

Tom.... :)

Thank you to everyone for the input and guidance. I am going to take some time to study the things you have suggested and also save up a little money so that I can build a working prototype( might have to hire help). When I come back I will start a new thread that is more specific and clear.

Grumpy_Mike: I just meant an amplifier small enough to fit on a circuit board.

Dr.Dietrich: Thank you, figurimg out if this is possible was my #1 concern.

jremington: Yes haha, I googled the signal levels I was working with and found the mA not thinking about voltage.

AllanHurst: Thank you I will google those terms

TomGeorge: No I want a circuit that adjusts itself to be on or off depending on what mode the output is set to. For example on a tuesday maybe I want the circuit to adjust itself to off based on a signal, and on a wednesday maybe I want the circuit to adjust itself to on based on the same signal.

Hi,

No I want a circuit that adjusts itself to be on or off depending on what mode the output is set to. For example on a tuesday maybe I want the circuit to adjust itself to off based on a signal, and on a wednesday maybe I want the circuit to adjust itself to on based on the same signal.

Ahhh, you want a logic output signal based on whether the analog input signal is above or below a THRESHOLD level.

The actual sense of the output you want to be able to select.

Tom… :o :slight_smile: