Self-Etched Purpose-Built Duemilanove Clone

Some of you guys probably saw my help thread in the troubleshooting section. I decided to scrap that board, after finding a lot of hairline breaks in some traces, and because I wanted to add a power jack and remove the ICSP header. So I present v2 of my small Duemilanove clone. Its going to be used to measure temperature, humidity, etc in a room, switch a light on and off at set intervals, and display stuff on an LCD. The board also has a Dallas DS1307 RTC onboard, along with a coin-cell battery, and a DS13kHz temperature-corrected oscillator.

Enjoy the pictures:

what transfer method did you use?

I printed the Eagle design on a clear overhead, and used photoboard and a developer.

What are the two metal "boxes" on the board? One is the usb connector I presume, but the other...?

What are the two metal "boxes" on the board? One is the usb connector I presume, but the other...?

I don't know, but one of them appears to have "LCD" printed next to it.

Well, since the OP isn't replying - they look like RJ45 jacks (the kind of plug that ethernet uses) that are used to connect the external parts of the circuit - like the LCD as TchnclFl suggests.

Heeeyyyy, that RJ45 idea is badass, especially for a simple LCD connector, instead of using bulky IDE cables or something similar, and who doesn't have like 9000 feet of old network cables laying around anyways! lol :slight_smile:

They are both RJ45 ports; one is for the LCD, the other is for the "breakout" board. This way, I can easily disconnect the cables and never worry about reversing a lead! Not to mention Ive got tons of network cable lying around.

Heeeyyyy, that RJ45 idea is badass, especially for a simple LCD connector, instead of using bulky IDE cables or something similar, and who doesn't have like 9000 feet of old network cables laying around anyways! lol

Thanks! Glad you like it!

Sorry for not replying earlier, I took a little hiatus and didnt check this thread. I really need to turn on email notifications or something!