Self powered remote controlled water valve.

Hi everyone,

so I have this project in mind of creating a self powered remote controlled water valve.
The main idea is that there won't be any power source, and it will be controlled by an esp8266-like (wifi or LoRa - so it may be an heltec or so), powered by a battery, charged by a turbine.
Typicall usage would be watering remote parcels, so off most of the day, and on for let's say at least 30min/1h, daily.
The brain will wake up from deep sleep on a schedule, and update it's schedule via quick and lightweight radio communication.
So it should be deep sleeping most of the time.

The valve chosen is a motorised ball valve so it only draws power on opening and closing.
Models like that the CWX-25S actuator seem to be able to start working at 3v (or 5v I've read contradicting specifications).
More easy to find are 9-12v DC

We have of course a battery - voltage to be chosen, ideally 3,7 LiPo.

And finally a small turbine, charging the battery all the time the valve is open.
Models like that are supposed to be able to provide up to 220mA (12V), but exists in 5V as well.

It conceptually can only work if there are long enough open valve cycles to recover the power drawn by opening, closing, radio communicationsand deep sleep.

Ideally I would power that with 3,7v LiPo, so I could charge it with the 5v turbine, power the sbc without a regulator, and only need to step-up for the motorised valve, behind a relay so it only draws power when actionning the valve (although I found models running at 3-9v DC, so no step-up required).
But if not possible I could go the other way, 12v battery, 12v motorised valve and 12v turbine, a step-down to power the sbc, but then the regulator needs to run (and draw power) all the time as even in deep-sleep, the sbc needs to be powered...

Size of tubing I'm thinking 3/4inchs, there willbe pressure in the pipes, about 3-4bars, so the turbine should be spinning quite ok)

What do you think? Is that not realistic, am I missing any import part that won't make it possible ?

Best cheers !

The project sounds interesting.

The project depends on the generated power being more than being consumed.
Testing is the thing that will reveal how it works.

Sounds a bit blue to me! :grinning:

Eventually clever hydraulics can reduce the electric power required for opening and closing the valve.

Replace your motorized ball valves with piloted solenoid valves. Small current to keep the pilot solenoid open and no current to close them automatically. Both use pressure difference to actually make the opening and closing operation.
Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Replace your motorized ball valves with piloted solenoid valves. Small current to keep the pilot solenoid open and no current to close them automatically. Both use pressure difference to actually make the opening and closing operation.
Paul

Hi Paul, but solenoid valve use power to keep it open though, compared to motorised that only draws power about 2x7seconds (open and close).
This one for example (it’s hard to find good specifications for those parts…) at 12V draws 420mA on opening and 300mA holding… that’s quite a lot if you keep it open an hour. The actuator is said to draw only 80mA and only during opening and closin cycles (les than 5s)
Also it is my understanding that the solenoid reduces the water flow (there is kind of an “elbow” internally reducing the water flow) while the ball valve, well, just opens and close no ?

Paul__B:
Sounds a bit blue to me! :grinning:

a bit blue ?

baramuse:
Hi Paul, but solenoid valve use power to keep it open though, compared to motorised that only draws power about 2x7seconds (open and close).
This one for example (it's hard to find good specifications for those parts..) at 12V draws 420mA on opening and 300mA holding... that's quite a lot if you keep it open an hour. The actuator is said to draw only 80mA and only during opening and closin cycles (les than 5s)
Also it is my understanding that the solenoid reduces the water flow (there is kind of an "elbow" internally reducing the water flow) while the ball valve, well, just opens and close no ?
a bit blue ?

I don't do French. Is the link to PILOTED solenoid valves to to regular solenoid valves?
Paul

The language can be selected on top of the page.

DrDiettrich:
The language can be selected on top of the page.

I see it now. Thanks!
I wonder if the OP has ever experienced a flood because the power failed with the solenoid latched open?
Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
I see it now. Thanks!
I wonder if the OP has ever experienced a flood because the power failed with the solenoid latched open?
Paul

Indeed that's a very good point, loss of power during open cycle would result in a always open state.
Thanksfuly the pump is controlled as well so worse case scenario, I shut down the pump if/when that happens.
What about the voltages, should I try to go full 3.7 or 12v with stepdown ?

Hi,
Link to turbine, characteristics???

Description:
100% brand new and high quality
Features:
The surface of the generator is clean, free of rust, scratches and scratches, and the structure is firm.
80V: DC 0-80V output, the generator does not have a voltage regulator circuit, the peak voltage reaches 80V, can directly 3-12V 10W LED lights, can directly charge small batteries, the maximum charging current is 220mA, because the power generated during charging It is used in time, so the voltage will be automatically maintained at around 14V, and the most suitable voltage will be maintained so that all the electricity generated will be used for charging the small battery
12V: DC 12V regulated output, can supply and charge 12V radio, and supply power to LED lights.
Product parameters:
Output maximum voltage: 80V (1.2Mpa)
Output maximum current: ≥220mA (12V)
Line resistance: 10.5 ± 0.5Ω
Insulation resistance: 10MΩ (DC100 megohmmeter)
The maximum pressure of the outlet is closed: 0.6Mpa
The outlet has the highest pressure resistance: 1.2Mpa
Starting water pressure: 0.05Mpa
Axial clearance: 0.2-1.0mm
Mechanical noise: ≤55dB
Generator life: ≥3000h
Output characteristics: the output voltage without the voltage regulator circuit is proportional to the water pressure

Nowhere do I see a flow rate!!!

Tom... :slight_smile:

pump1.jpg

pump1.jpg

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Link to turbine, characteristics???Nowhere do I see a flow rate!!!

Really hard to get good specifications for those parts...
but good point, really need to know the flow rate !

Hi,
You may have to do a small Proof of Concept project to check each component characteristic in your application.

TomGeorge:
Hi,
You may have to do a small Proof of Concept project to check each component characteristic in your application.

yep that's the idea, I wanted to check the general idea before, just in case I was missing something big.
I've already built a few smaller projects (like chicken door) but never worked with those valves and turbines

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.