Selling Arduino Projects On Ebay?

I was wondering if there is anything wrong with selling my product online, such as Ebay, Craigslist, or Amazon. I have several finished products, all using AVR chips of course.

Surely you would be infringing on dozens of patents if your project actually does anything.

Actual Arduino company products have end user agreements to not use them for things such as medical and driving cars ect.

Generic branded ones don’t even bother to print a similar agreement.

It depends where in the world you are and where you are selling to.

For example in the EU any product sold has to be complaint with CE - which is a whole bunch of requirements given the type of equipment you are selling. One of these is the RoHS legislation that bans the use of lead and several other chemicals from being in your product.

Also most products have to be complaint with the EM emissions for the country. That is FCC for the U.S. and is part of the CE bundle in the EU. Other countries have their own regulations like Canada and Austria.

So a bit of a minefield.

As far as I know CE rules only apply to finished products. I can think of 3 people I know who sell kits of their products so as to avoid CE problems.

But you can get around most of the regulations if you label your product as "kit" ...

PerryBebbington:
As far as I know CE rules only apply to finished products. I can think of 3 people I know who sell kits of their products so as to avoid CE problems.

That is is assumed to be the case.

However, hidden away in the CE stuff is a requirement for CE when the product is 'put into service' so the kit assembler is then responsible for CE, at least that is the case for product involving radios, not sure about the rest.

Don't forget liability insurance for yourself.

srnet:
Hidden away in the CE stuff is a requirement for CE when the product is 'put into service' so the kit assembler is then responsible for CE, at least that is the case for product involving radios, not sure about the rest.

I think you will find that the the number of kit assemblers prosecuted for failing to follow CE regulations for kits they have assembled is exactly the same as the number of people who have died from stomach cramps when they have gone swimming 59 minutes after eating a meal.

PerryBebbington:
I think you will find that the the number of kit assemblers prosecuted for failing to follow CE regulations for kits they have assembled is exactly the same as the number of people who have died from stomach cramps when they have gone swimming 59 minutes after eating a meal.

And no doubt you need a licence for flying a pig in controlled air space, I doubt anyone is ever prosecuted for that either.

srnet:
And no doubt you need a licence for flying a pig in controlled air space, I doubt anyone is ever prosecuted for that either.

Flying pigs are a real problem around here, especially for fans of Pink Floyd.

PerryBebbington:

Stomach cramps when swimming after eating?

I haven't heard of that for years! Is this still common "knowledge"? :astonished:

Gerneration Smartphone does not swim, they play swimming app while eating taccos.

bottom line, sell the kit, put in a warming about swimming after eating, watching for flying pigs, and if you want to make some note that this divide does not produce any CO2.

by the way, I once talked to a guy who said that he was on a chat-room and that someone had a friend who swam after eating and got cramps.

dave-in-nj:
I once talked to a guy who said that he was on a chat-room and that someone had a friend who swam after eating and got cramps.

Well summed up! :grinning:

Ok now this was a good start to eh morning. Now, who will clean my monitor.

look up "rf power meter" on ebay. there are two kinds, laboratory grade, and things that look like the top of my workbench. the ones that look like the top of my workbench all have Nanos & LCD displays.

you can't profit from open source software. you should provide a link to your software, make it open source. you can profit from your materials and labor.

anent swimming and eating - that twaddle has been traced back to a 1908 Boy Scout publication. it became famous when a doctor published an article in a peer reviewed scientific publication named "Ladies Home Journal" in 1932. two months later, almost everybody in this doctors class in medical school wrote Ladies Home Journal and said what a moron this guy is. one doctor said they should review every test he took in medical school and increase the requirement to pass that test by one question, so it would never happen again.

you will be shocked to know that this response to the article, published in the same publication, did not go viral.

OK, but these days in america. the way we eat junk food, people get cramps from a bacon double cheesburger with fries.and the only thing swimming is the food in the grease.