send data from computer to arduino

i have connected a usb device to my pc that sends data (char data type i can view it on hyperterminal) i wound like to send this data to arduino to trigger an operation how can i do this.

thanks

Read a character with Serial.read(). Check if there's a character to read with Serial.available(). Simply typing into the hyperterminal should send the character to the arduino (you can check if it is if you see the Rx light blink when you hit a character on your computer)

NOT WORKING hyperterminal is connected to my device on port 13 where i can view information from the device, and arduino is on port28 but i need this data displayed in arduino serial monitor

my code from arduino tutorials

char incomingByte = 0; // for incoming serial data

void setup() { Serial.begin(9600); // opens serial port, sets data rate to 9600 bps }

void loop() {

// send data only when you receive data: if (Serial.available() > 0) { // read the incoming byte: incomingByte = Serial.read();

// say what you got: Serial.print("I received: "); Serial.println(incomingByte); } }

hyperterminal is connected to my device on port 13 where i can view information from the device

And, have you configured hyperterminal to send that data to the port that the Arduino is connected to?

no how do I do that?? Thats the problem I do know how? And if the two ports are connected like your saying will the serial monitor display exactly what I view in hyperterminal with only the device.