Send data from Uno to MySQL (no shields)

Hi folks,

For my project I need to send data I'm receiving from Xbee on my Arduino Uno board to a database. I wanted to use MySQL as a database.
However, I did a lot of research on the Internet to find out how to do it but I keep stumbling on examples or tutorials where Ethernet or WiFi shields are used. I don't have such a shield at my disposal unfortunately...

I was wondering if there's a way to directly send data from arduino to MySQL over WiFi or other without using a shield?

Ps: I'm on Windows (but I do have Linux in case it's not feasible in Windows)

Can anybody help or give any tips?

Kind regards

over WiFi or other

The Uno doesn’t have Wi-Fi built-in.

You can use the USB (FTDI serial) port to send/receive data. That’s the ONLY computer-compatible connection you’ve got.

Of course, you’ll have to write a Windows application to read the serial port and send the data to your SQL database. (For me, that would be the biggest challenge.)

Hi, thanks for your quick response!

So I suppose switching to Linux wouldn't make any difference then?

Do you happen to know where I can find tutorials which explain the approach you just told me?

thanks a lot

itszyo:
So I suppose switching to Linux wouldn't make any difference then?

Only to have a more stable and better documented operating system with better support for serial (USB) connections. :grinning:

Paul__B:
Only to have a more stable and better documented operating system with better support for serial (USB) connections. :grinning:

Don't forget the much easier and readily available programming options, the ease of running a MySQL server & client locally or remotely, etc.

Using Python this should be a pretty straightforward thing to build. Read data from tty interface, do sanity checking, write to MySQL. Easy peasy. Just have to brush up some skills as it's been quite some years since I did something similar.

On Windows... I wouldn't even know where to start, really! Probably it would require a lot of hunting down of different pieces of software from various possibly dubious sources... Still no easy to use and well maintained software repositories for Windows.

Hi,

Thanks wvmarle! I've done it with a Python script and it works fine :slight_smile:

wvmarle:
Probably it would require a lot of hunting down of different pieces of software from various possibly dubious sources...

Note that I'm OS agnostic nowadays; I used to be a Linux person and still enjoy the times that I can awk, sed and bash.

From the MySQL website if you only need MySQL.
Last time I checked you can get a C# 'plugin' through NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio.

No dubious sources from that perspective.

There's xampp and wamp as well in case you need a LAMP setup under windows. Although they might be a little more dubious.

wvmarle:
Still no easy to use and well maintained software repositories for Windows.

Like the Arduino IDE in the Linux repositories :smiley: