Send Serial Data to Arduino over XBee Pros and Run Code Based on Data

I am trying to send numbers from my serial monitor (1, 2, 3, 4, 0) to my Arduino that is hooked up to some motors. I have been trying for hours to find only random characters and symbols popping up in the monitor. I am using the XBee Pro S1 on both my computer and Arduino. Any help is much appreciated for this newbie.

Code:

void loop() {
 if (Serial.available() > 0) {
   int input = Serial.read(); // I have tried many things here like char, byte, (char) casts
   Serial.write(input); // this just writes random symbols and letters/numbers
   if (input == 1) {
     forward();
   }
   if (input == 2) {
     backward();
   }
   if (input == 3) {
     left();
   }
   if (input == 4) {
     right();
   }
   if (input == 0) {
     kill();
   }
 }
}

Here is an example of the crazy responses I get. Note that the response changes every time I send 2.

|500x163

Let me know if you need more information. Thanks again.

I am using the XBee Pro S1 on both my computer and Arduino.

Is the output from the computer TTL?

zoomkat: Is the output from the computer TTL?

How would I know that? I have tried using VB.Net and the Arduino Serial Monitor. I am using the Adafruit USB Explorer kit.

I changed the baud rate to 57600 and changed Serial.begin(9600); to Serial.begin(57600);. Now I get no response.

How would I know that? I have tried using VB.Net and the Arduino Serial Monitor. I am using the Adafruit USB Explorer kit.

Specifically how is the pc connected to its XBee? If it is some how connected using a a USB serial adapter, the USB serial adapter may be outputting rs232 instead of TTL.

zoomkat: Specifically how is the pc connected to its XBee? If it is some how connected using a a USB serial adapter, the USB serial adapter may be outputting rs232 instead of TTL.

This is the adapter I have. I do not think it says anything about TTL or RS232z

https://www.adafruit.com/products/247

Any help with this?

prattcmp:
Any help with this?

The link you provided appears to show links to the adafruit forum which might have quick answers for your questions.

zoomkat: The link you provided appears to show links to the adafruit forum which might have quick answers for your questions.

I asked them if it was TTL. No answer. I also have a DFRobot IO Expansion Shield V7.1, so I am wondering if that is the issue. Maybe it needs to use SoftwareSerial. I saw something about jumpers. Any ideas?