Sending Arduino data to Raspberry via Bluetooth in Python

Dear Arduino Forum!

I’ve tried my best to read enough material on this topic to be able to do it myself but unfortuantely I was unsuccessful.

Currently my Arduino is only connected to a HC-05 bluetooth module on pins 10 and 11. What I’d like to achieve is to be able to send numbers or other data periodically to my raspberry which I would eventually store in a text file.

Ultimately it would be thermometer numbers but in order for me to do it a simple loop’d i++ is enough as an example since only the variable’s calculation would differ the rest would stay the same.

This is the code on the Arduino’s end.

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial mySerial(10, 11); 

int i;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  i = 0;
  delay(800);
  mySerial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() // run over and over
{
    Serial.println(i);
    i++;
    delay(800);
    mySerial.println(i);

}

This is the python code

#! /usr/bin/python
import serial
ser = serial.Serial('/dev/rfcomm0' , 9600)
print(ser.name)

ser_bytes = ser.readline()
print = ser_bytes

I have no prior knowledge to this so apologies if I’m missing something obvious. I have managed to establish the connection between the 2 devices and with a different project I have tested and double checked.

My issue is that while the loop’d numbers are showing nicely on COM3 the result on my Raspberry on the other hand is but a single number with the delay added.

So ultimately my question would be how to achieve this:

and not just a single number like so:

I’ve already tried it with while True: but unfortunately I get an error in that case.
As I’m not experienced with python cannot help but think the print line is missing something but cannot firgure it out.

Sincerely,
Nyanpasu

It looks like your python code is doing exactly what you would expect. You're going to need a loop to read more numbers. What error did you get when you tried one?

wildbill:
It looks like your python code is doing exactly what you would expect. You're going to need a loop to read more numbers. What error did you get when you tried one?

When I added while True: to the beginning I got this:

you need to indent the While structure, e.g.

while True: 
    print = ser_bytes

horace:
you need to indent the While structure, e.g.

while True: 
print = ser_bytes

I feel incredibly silly but good news is that it is working. Thanks for your patience.

This Simple Python - Arduino demo may help.

...R