Sending data by light

Hi all,

I was thinking about the algorithm that i will use in my project, i was wondering if it’s correct or is there another method to do it !
it’s about sending data (Text) using a LED/LASER DIODE, fiber optic and a photoresistance !
First step, i wanna send only a char, and the only way to do it is basically in Binary code.
so let’s take an example:
the ascii code of A is 41H => (0100 0001)b
the led will blink depending on the bits (0 = 2.5V and 1 = 5V)
the phototransistor will get and stock these values in a table, i will get something like that XYXX XXXY
and i’m going to convert it to binary (X=0 and Y = 1), after write it down in the serial monitor :slight_smile:

Am i right ? is there any suggestions ? i’m waiting for your comments :slight_smile:

This Thread may be useful.

Note that the data is added to a modulated 38kHz carrier to minimize the risk of interference from other light sources.

...R

http://www.pchelar-probvaisambg.com/Download/TR2003-35.pdf

All done with LEDs

Hi, Couple of things:

The easiest way to handle the timing challenge in this is to use regular Serial Asynchronous signals. See "Software Serial" and File>Examples>Communications in the Arduino IDE.

A photoresistor is slow as a receiver and will limit your speed (Baud Rate). Using IR LED and IR Phototransistor may be better. But a small Laser Diode would be good in that you can SEE the signal is working...

DISCLAIMER: Mentioning stuff from my own shop as examples...
IR LED HERE:
IR Phototransistor HERE:
If you want to use 38KHz Infrared signals, this Receiver HERE:
Laser Diode HERE:

Information on sending/receiving 38Khz Infrared Signals is on the ArduinoInfo.Info WIKI HERE:

Let us know what you get working...

Thank you all for your comments, I appreciate your interactivity

I think that i will use IR.. and what do you think about the method of the transmission ?

Adiil:
and what do you think about the method of the transmission ?

Through the atmosphere, definitely.

...R

... R ? i din't get it. You mean IR ?

No, I don't think Robin2 does mean IR