Sending data through UART to another micro-controller

Hi all, I am trying to send data serially through the UART port to another micro-controller (Intel Edison with arduino breakout board). So far no luck; I was wondering if anyone else has done this or knows how to. I have not worked with serial communication much or even Arduinos. My code is simple:

String incoming;
void setup() {
Serial.begin(115200);
}

void loop() {

Serial.print(45);

}

Very basic like I said. Is this all I have to do on the ardunio's end? Or do I have to wait for a start/stop bit?

I have used a Mega 2560 with a Raspberry Pi through the USB connector. I think i still have some Python test code lying around here somewhere.

I meant to add that I'm using an Arduino Uno if that changes anything. I would love to see how you set it up on the arduino side though! I am not convinced my arduino is even sending anything through the UART port, but it could also be a problem on the Edison side.

If the serial monitor is working, the UART is working. With the RPi, the connection is simple. Connect the Arduino to the USB port and open /dev/ttyACM0.

So this might be a stupid question, but how do I open /dev/ttyACM0 in the arduino code? Or is that solely for the Pi?

That is just for the Pi. If the other device has a TTL serial port, you should be able to communicate with it if the settings on both ends are compatible. insure there is no voltage difference or you will need a logic level converter. I'm not sure about the Edison board.