Sending formatted text through Serial output from Arduino UNO

I'm currently reading through the Arduino Cookbook and going through the recipies because I'm new to Arduino. I've come across a recipe that explains and demonstrates how to send formatted text to serial output.

From reading through, up until this point, my understanding was that there are reserved words used for formatting output (e.g. DEC, BIN, OCT, BYTE, etc.). When I tried to compile my code which contained a BYTE reserved word I received an error stating that 'BYTE' was not declared in this scope. Now, I need some help to clarify if I was incorrect in my understanding that 'BYTE' was a reserved formatting word. Does anyone know if I need to correct one of the libraries to fix this code or do I need to install or reinstall a library? I feel like I'm trying to bite my neck here after hours of searching around the net and here on the boards. Thanks to anyone in advance in regards to those who can answer my question! I'm using Arduino 1.0 and my system is Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid, kernal 2.6.39.4 if that info helps.

Here is the code I'm working with:

//Serialformatting, prints values in various formats to the serial

char chrValue = 65; //these are the starting values to print
int intValue = 65;
float floatvalue = 65.0;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
  Serial.println("charValue: ");
  Serial.println(chrValue);
  Serial.println(chrValue,BYTE);
  Serial.println(chrValue,DEC);
  Serial.println("intValue: ");
  Serial.println(intValue);
  Serial.println(intValue, BYTE);
  Serial.println(intValue,DEC);
  Serial.println(intValue,HEX);
  Serial.println(intValue,OCT);
  Serial.println(intValue,BIN);

Serial.println("floatvalue: ");
  Serial.println(floatvalue);

delay(1000); //delay a second between numbers
  chrValue++; //to the next value, tally-ho!
  intValue++;
}

I think BYTE is deprecated in recent releases. Just omit it. And …

Please edit your post, select the code, and put it between [code][/code] tags.

You can do that by hitting the # button above the posting area.

I think BYTE is deprecated in recent releases. Just omit it. And

It is. It never should have been used that way in the first place. The other 2nd argument values (BIN, OCT, HEX, DEC) all define a base to use for format the output. What base is BYTE?

Use Serial.write() to output binary data, instead. That is what the BYTE argument caused.

Thanks again guys for the clarity, it is greatly appreciated, and my apologies for the late response! I will definitely use Serial.write() to output binary.