Sending the text written on the LCD screen to the computer.

QUESTION: I want the text written on the LCD Screen to be sent from the Serial Port (Connection) Screen to my computer and I want to get an answer from that device and write that answer on the LCD screen. What should I do?

OBJECTIVE: I write text on the LCD screen via the buttons, I want it to send the article to another device and finally write the reply to the LCD screen, that is, something like a messaging screen.

SORU : LCD Ekranda yazan yazıyı Seri Port ( Bağlantı) Ekranın’dan bilgisayarıma göndermesini istiyorum ve o cihazdan cevap alıp o cevabı LCD ekranda yazmasını istiyorum ne yapmam gerekiyor?

AMAÇ : Butonlar aracılığı ile LCD ekrana yazı yazıyorum o yazıyıda başka bir cihaza göndermesini istiyorum en sonunda ise gelen cevabı LCD ekrana yazması yani bir mesajlaşma ekranı benzeri bir şey.

As you write the text to the LCD, you write the same text to a buffer. When you are ready to send it to the serial port - which is probably only when you have finished entering the whole text - you send it from the buffer which already holds the same text as you wrote to the LCD screen.

Google translation to English from Turkish

QUESTION: I want the text written on the LCD Screen to be sent from the Serial Port (Connection) Display to my computer and I want that device to receive an answer and write that answer on the LCD screen, what should I do?

OBJECTIVE: I write text on the LCD screen via the buttons, I want it to send the article to another device and finally write the reply to the LCD screen, that is, something like a messaging screen.

Bu forumda bu konunun taşınabileceği bir Türkçe dil bölümü bulunmadığından, Türkçe konuşanlardan herhangi biri katkıda bulunmadıkça, çevirmek için Google'a güvenmemiz gerekecek

There is no Turkish language section of this forum to which this topic can be moved, so unless any Turkish speakers contribute we will need to depend on Google to translate for us

THANKS

IT WOULD BE GOOD IF YOU CAN LOOK :slight_smile:

First of all, Thanks. But this is not the solution I want, because I write to the LCD with the buttons, I cannot do such a process.

Aha. Maybe because a TFT display is also an LCD display, and a HMI display is also a TFT display.

If you post a link to the display you have in mind or bought, this might get clearer.

Jean-Marc

Duplicate topics merged

ZinggJM:
Aha. Maybe because a TFT display is also an LCD display, and a HMI display is also a TFT display.

If you post a link to the display you have in mind or bought, this might get clearer.

Jean-Marc

16x2, I2C MODULE SOLDERED
**It says "QAPASS" on the subject I do not understand, but its number is not read due to the I2C module. I searched for a google but could not find its number.**Thank you for your attention. I HOPE THAT THIS INFORMATION IS ENOUGH.
I posted a link because I could not assign it as a photo file.

https://hizliresim.com/799Fcu
https://hizliresim.com/aW9LVp

@metebora55,

thank you for your answer. Now we know that you have what is commonly called a LCD module.
And the experts can step in and provide the correct answers.

I do have several of these, some with just the same connector, and some with I2C connection module.
Your second link shows the backside with the I2C module.
I don't think you can read back anything from these, so answer #2 is applicable.

But the experts will certainly give you more advice, and recommend the well known library to use.

BTW: most of these are called QUAPASS; I think this stands for Quality Passed, but I don't know.

Jean-Marc

ZinggJM:
@metebora55,

thank you for your answer. Now we know that you have what is commonly called a LCD module.

I do have several of these, some with just the same connector, and some with I2C connection module.
I don't think you can read back anything from these, so answer #2 is applicable.

But the experts will certainly give you more advice, and recommend the well known library to use.

BTW: most of these are called QUAPASS; I think this stands for Quality Passed, but I don't know.

Jean-Marc

Thanks

ZinggJM:
@metebora55,

Jean-Marc

I can not do the 2. answer because I am writing to the lcd with the buttons.

@metebora55,

I would like to help you. But unfortunately I am neither an expert using these displays, nor am I a good teacher.

So I assume you have some buttons. You could tell us more about these.
Are they connected to some processor, e.g. an Arduino, and this processor then writes something to the display when a button is pressed? For this the processor needs to run a program. Do you write this program, or is it given to you. If it is given to you, do you get it in source form or as a binary executable?
Dependent on the answers to these question you may or may not be able to "catch" and copy what is written by the program. This is the idea behind the answer in post #2.

The second link in #10 shows a regular 16x2 LCD with an I2C backpack.

Install the hd44780.h library via the IDE Library Manager.

This library can write to your LCD. But it can also read from your LCD.
All the other libraries are write-only.

Run this library example sketch:
C:\Users...\Documents\Arduino\libraries\hd44780\examples\ioClass\hd44780_I2Cexp\ReadWrite\ReadWrite.ino

Study the code. Adapt it for your project.

David.

ZinggJM:
@metebora55,

I would like to help you. But unfortunately I am neither an expert using these displays, nor am I a good teacher.

So I assume you have some buttons. You could tell us more about these.
Are they connected to some processor, e.g. an Arduino, and this processor then writes something to the display when a button is pressed? For this the processor needs to run a program. Do you write this program, or is it given to you. If it is given to you, do you get it in source form or as a binary executable?
Dependent on the answers to these question you may or may not be able to "catch" and copy what is written by the program. This is the idea behind the answer in post #2.

@ZinggJM
Let me summarize you as follows, I have buttons and when I press each button, I make sentences on the LCD screen, the only application I use is Arduino Ide. I also provide letter writing with two variables, one row, the other column, and extra when clicking any button, the column variable increases by 1, so it writes a right for each button click. That's how I use it.

@metebora55,

so you have two options. Either your program remembers what it has written to the LCD, or it can ask the LCD through the library, if you use the well known library hd44780.

And I learned something I didn’t know before. Thanks, David.

Jean-Marc

metebora55:
First of all, Thanks. But this is not the solution I want, because I write to the LCD with the buttons, I cannot do such a process.

metebora55:
I can not do the 2. answer because I am writing to the LCD with the buttons.

Complete nonsense! :roll_eyes:

You cannot just “write to the LCD with the buttons”. You clearly have a code which interprets what the buttons signify and determines what character you wish to write to the screen. Therefore you simply write that same character to a buffer as you do so, and when you need to, whether for each character (which is I suspect, unlikely) or at the end of the entry of a string of characters, you write that buffer which now holds the same information as the screen, to the serial port.

You are the one who wrote the code to “write to the LCD with the buttons” are you not? So you simply alter that code to write to the same character to the buffer as it does so.

Yes, this is a “standard” 16 by 2 LCD module with an I2C “backpack”. I believe Bill Perry’s “HD44780” library does have the ability to read data back from the LCD but the point is that it is simply unnecessary since you already knew what characters you were writing to the LCD. It will most likely be easier for you to alter your present code to do this that to alter your code just to use Bill’s library as it is.

Of course, if you seriously wish assistance as to how to do this, you would read the instructions for posting information - point number 7 - and post your code here.

ZinggJM:
BTW: most of these are called QUAPASS; I think this stands for Quality Passed, but I don’t know.

“QAPASS” is a Chinese manufacturing irony. :fearful: It stands for “Quality Assurance Passed”. If it ever was genuine which it clearly is not, it would be on a sticker which was applied to the module after it had actually been tested. However this is simply a part of the silk screened text overlay applied during PCB manufacture and so is utterly meaningless. :astonished:

Paul__B:
Complete nonsense! :roll_eyes:

You cannot just “write to the LCD with the buttons”. You clearly have a code which interprets what the buttons signify and determines what character you wish to write to the screen. Therefore you simply write that same character to a buffer as you do so, and when you need to, whether for each character (which is I suspect, unlikely) or at the end of the entry of a string of characters, you write that buffer which now holds the same information as the screen, to the serial port.

You are the one who wrote the code to “write to the LCD with the buttons” are you not? So you simply alter that code to write to the same character to the buffer as it does so.

Yes, this is a “standard” 16 by 2 LCD module with an I2C “backpack”. I believe Bill Perry’s “HD44780” library does have the ability to read data back from the LCD but the point is that it is simply unnecessary since you already knew what characters you were writing to the LCD. It will most likely be easier for you to alter your present code to do this that to alter your code just to use Bill’s library as it is.

Of course, if you seriously wish assistance as to how to do this, you would read the instructions for posting information - point number 7 - and post your code here.
“QAPASS” is a Chinese manufacturing irony. :fearful: It stands for “Quality Assurance Passed”. If it ever was genuine which it clearly is not, it would be on a sticker which was applied to the module after it had actually been tested. However this is simply a part of the silk screened text overlay applied during PCB manufacture and so is utterly meaningless. :astonished:

@Paul__B
I can write to the LCD with buttons, but it may seem ridiculous to you as I use my own codes, as I said before, I have two variables, one for column and one for row, and when I press each button for letters, the column variable is written to where it is located and when the process is finished, the column variable increases by one during these events. does not change, but when I press the enter button I set myself, it increases the row variable by one and makes the column variable zero. So it’s actually very simple. And I tell you again, as I wrote above, I make a sentence by just pressing the buttons without touching the codes of the lcd screen. As a result, what I want is to send the text I write with the buttons to the computer (via serial port screen) while it is connected to the computer. Also, I did not understand your last sentence.

I still don't understand.

metebora55:
I can write to the LCD with buttons

• How many buttons do you have? One per letter of the alphabet plus "Enter"?
  • Are they connected to an Arduino? If so, how?
  • If an Arduino is involved, show us your sketch (in code tags, please).

metebora55:
Also, I did not understand your last sentence.

Perhaps you had better quote just which last sentence you did not understand. :astonished:

Enough I fancy, of arguing around in circles. As Erik says, you need to get serious and post your code here by following point 7 of the instructions. Then we can work on it. :sunglasses: