I've put it all together and... It didn't work :( The transmitter code was working fine, as I monitored via serial output. The receiver does not seem to receive messages. This could be a wiring problem, coding problem, or a hardware problem. I will check the voltages on the transmitter and receiver chip to make sure that they are at fault.
Since I was just testing them, I made the antennas quite short 5cm. However, they were right beside each other, so I do not think that would have made a difference.
Edit #1: I also think I will upload a sketch on the Receiver that will dump raw data in real time to see whats going on.