Senses bacteria on a surface

Ok so I've never used Arduino before and I don't completely understand the concept of it, and I don't know how to code (at all), but I'm still asking if it's possible to create some sort of Ardunio-powered device/circuit that could sense certain bacterias on a surface and beep/turn on an led if it does.

The Arduino could read the output of a suitable sensor and turn on a beeper or LED.

You will have some difficulty to find a suitable sensor.

Yeah, the processing setup Arduino or otherwise would be the last part to think about there. You need to find some scientific principle or sensor or technique that allows you to turn the presence of your bacteria into some sort of electrical signal. Once you do that, picking a suitable board to read it and process the data is the easy part.

Joshua213P:
Ok so I've never used Arduino before and I don't completely understand the concept of it, and I don't know how to code (at all), but I'm still asking if it's possible to create some sort of Ardunio-powered device/circuit that could sense certain bacterias on a surface and beep/turn on an led if it does.

I presume you know every surface is covered with bacteria. What, specifically, separates your bacteria from all of the other bacteria? Perhaps we can start there. Are you able to stain those bacteria and not the others?

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
I presume you know every surface is covered with bacteria. What, specifically, separates your bacteria from all of the other bacteria? Perhaps we can start there. Are you able to stain those bacteria and not the others?

Paul

Ok, so basically I'm thinking about possibly creating some sort of detection system which alerts users if bacteria (dangerous ones like E. Coli for example, but mainly just bacteria that would cause food-born illnesses) is present on for example, dish towels.

Most E. coli are not dangerous, and are normal denizens of a healthy gut.

Distinguishing bacteria that cause food born illnesses from those that do not requires advanced laboratory techniques. These days, DNA or RNA analysis is usually used.

Some sorts of bacteria flourless under UV light.

Joshua213P:
Ok, so basically I'm thinking about possibly creating some sort of detection system which alerts users if bacteria (dangerous ones like E. Coli for example, but mainly just bacteria that would cause food-born illnesses) is present on for example, dish towels.

If what you are trying to create is a scanner that will tell you if a work surface or dish towel is contaminated with dangerous, as opposed harmless, naturally occurring bacteria you really have no chance of making one.

As @Grumpy_Mike suggests you could detect bacteria that fluoresce (or even flourless ) under UV. But there may be several types of bacteria that do that. Maybe you could GM bacteria to fluoresce at an unusual wavelength and then detect them, but I don't think that is your objective.