Sensible options for tactile dual purpose input-output device?

I am trying to gauge the feasibility of a simple input-output device that can be read by feel, and its settings changed either by the user rotating a wheel or having the device rotate them to the programmed setting on its own.

Final device would be for use in a darkroom setting.

I'm currently prototyping with Arduino Uno boards, but may swap if final project needs additional IO.

Use Case example:
User turns the wheel to an initial input setting, presses a button for the device to process the input, device rotates the same wheel to new setting to indicate the updated setting.

My initial thought would be a rotary encoder and stepper motor coupled to the same axis for each Input/Output wheel as the most straightforward option.

• Are there any worries about feedback from the stepper motors if used like this, or should driver boards be expected to handle the small feedback?

Is there a more practical option to achieve this that I'm overlooking? Some method of polling a stepper motor or similar device's position that is comparable to/better than the costs and design complexity of the stepper, control board, and rotary encoder that I've overlooked?

Select steppers up to the task and drop the feed back idea. An end switch for calibrating/initiating the stepper position is the usual approach.

Railroader:
Select steppers up to the task and drop the feed back idea. An end switch for calibrating/initiating the stepper position is the usual approach.

And when the user adjusts the position of a dial to change selected input - How can I poll a stepper motor to detect such a change?

Usually electricity is turning stepper motors. When they are powered a terribly high torque is needed to turn them. They are not intended to be turned by external forces.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.