Sensor advice, please

I have a well pump that is actuated by low pressure on the 'tap' side. Either a physical tap is opened manually or an actuator opens a solenoid driven valve.

the pump has a controller that contains this low pressure sensor. The controller also has a dry run shutoff which I am told (by the blurb) is magnetic but which, when fired, results in a physical shut off of the machine which then must be reset manually

No problem save that it's under a 100kg manhole and I'm not often in the same country, yet the garden still has to get watered... the well runs dry frequently due to farmers in the area also taking from the same aquifer.

I've thought about relocating the pump controller. But that's not going to happen in the short term.

I'm looking to remove the pump controller completely and instead have a direct coupling with the motor being controlled by a microprocessor. This can be turned on/off at the same time as the automatic valves (via a high power relay). A current sensor can be used to check for dry running.

But this does not solve the use case of the manual tap. I could just use a remote control but I would rather mimic the low pressure sensor. Is such a thing generally available to the hobby market (and at hobby - 10USD) prices?

thanks
Justin

There's no "mimicking" a sensor. To detect low pressure, you need a pressure sensor.

What's stopping you from hooking up the existing sensor?

apologies for the delay - for some reason I am not getting reply-alerts.

the existing sensor is part of a bulky device that also contains the physical cut-off that I am trying to avoid. I've had no success in disabling the cut-off.

by using the term 'mimic' i had intended both to ask for help with a low pressure sensor generally - is there something available in the hobby price range? and also to invite lateral ideas about how to achieve the same goal (i.e. that the water would turn on when a tap was opened, and shut off when closed).

If anyone has anything that might help on this I'd be much obliged.

Buy a $25 or less pump pressure switch that lacks the manual reset, dry source shutoff.

Of course, if the well or water source goes dry, you will have to replace the $300 pump.

jpadie:
apologies for the delay - for some reason I am not getting reply-alerts.

Forget about waiting for alerts, 9 times out of 10 they don't work.
Tom... :slight_smile:

Forget about waiting for alerts, 9 times out of 10 they don't work.

oh dear. Perhaps we could offer our help to fix the bulletin board? emailed alerts are a vital part of any community forum.

Buy a $25 or less pump pressure switch that lacks the manual reset, dry source shutoff.

I've not found such a thing in France that has the right (or easily modified) couplings and supports 10bar with a 10A pump motor. But I will keep looking.