sensor for distance measurement of cotton

Hi all, I need a distance sensor to measure distance of a cotton in plant from the sensor. Which sensor can be best suited for this??

What exactly do you mean by "distance of a cotton in plant". Are you talking about cotton bolls on the plant in the field?

We have a tool in which the sensor will be placed. We need to measure distance of the cottons in the plants. Distance between the cotton that got flowered in the plant and our sensor which is placed above the tool..

Please provide more details about this tool. I would guess you'll be using lidar since I don't think an ultrasonic distance sensor would be suitable for this application. The question is: How will the lidar be targeted specifically to the cotton boll? Perhaps you will be manually targeting it with this mysterious tool. Or maybe you want it to be automated, in which case you're probably going to need computer vision using a video camera to identify the boll.

As you said , We will automate the tool. We need a sensor to measure only the distance of the cotton from tool.

pert:
Please provide more details about this tool. I would guess you’ll be using lidar since I don’t think an ultrasonic distance sensor would be suitable for this application. The question is: How will the lidar be targeted specifically to the cotton boll? Perhaps you will be manually targeting it with this mysterious tool. Or maybe you want it to be automated, in which case you’re probably going to need computer vision using a video camera to identify the boll.

Actually you are going to need more than that!

For several years my wife has planted a couple of cotton seeds in the garden, Central ORegon desert. This year for the first time she actually had a boll open and show it’s cotton fibers.

The problem sensing “cotton”, the OP is probably looking for the white fibers, is the many big leaves and a multitude of stems hiding the packet of fibers. We didn’t find the one successful boll until trying to cover the plants when frost was predicted.

A few years ago my cousins in Yuma, AZ drove us around a cotton field that had just been picked by machine. They attempt to strip off all leaves and bolls from the plant and let the machine separate the good from the bad. I don’t know how that is done. Perhaps air would blow away all the lighter leaves.

Perhaps the OP is looking for a new way to separate the fibers from the chaff. Who can tell from the little information that was given.

Paul