Sensor matrix & Arduino

Hello Arduino Forum!

Being very new to the electrotechnical world in general and the Arduino in particular, I am looking for some very basic guidance on wether an Ardiuno might be feasible for my project.

I will have a sensor matrix of 20 x 10 sensors. Is the Arduino a good and fast (> 50Hz) way to continuously read the data from these sensors and pass it on to a computer?

Can I later expand the project by adding additional sensor modules (same as the first one)?

Is this something the Arduino might be a good choice for or would you recommend something else?

Thank you very much for your help, it is much appreciated!! :) Tom

I will have a sensor matrix of 20 x 10 sensors. Is the Arduino a good and fast (> 50Hz) way to continuously read the data from these sensors and pass it on to a computer?

Well, you haven't told us what the sensors are, how they are to be interfaced, or how much data they produce, but do some arithmetic.

20 x 10 x 50 = 10 000

If reading, processing and transmitting the results for one sensor takes more than 100us (aka 1/10 000th of a second), then the answer is "no".

You are right, then let me rephrase the question a bit more generally.

Is the Arduino a good choice for collecting data from multiple optical sensors in a matrix (x rows, y columns) and transfer the data to a computer?

Can one Arduino work with more than one of such sensor modules?

The only requirements so far for this project are: - multiple optical sensors - realtime data

Thanks again! :) Tom

Well, you haven't told us what the sensors are, how they are to be interfaced, or how much data they produce.

Tom:

I agree with AWOL. it really needs a lot more detail even for a general answer.

I track six output from two accelerometers, an RTC (Time) module, a Barometer (Alt, Temp, Pressure) plus other functions.

I send the data over Ethernet via UDP packets -- I am pushing the capabilities for the Mega 2560. If the Ethernet driver or hardware was more capable it could make a difference -- but you have to work with what you have.

Can you use multiple Arduinos in a net and consolidate on a PC -- that's what I am doing -- even using a Make controller to feed data at the same time. I can even use multiple consolidation PCs.

If you cannot be more specific -- that's probably as good as it will get.

Thanks AWOL and Will for the information.

The sensors will be some kind of photodiodes but we haven't decided on a particular model yet.

I will come back again, once we got more information.

Thanks again! Tom