Sensor power supply

When connecting 10 proximity sensor to a mega, can I use a terminal block away from the board, and only run the signal wires back to the digital inputs?....itll be the same power supply powering the board itself, and the sensors I was hoping to use are pnp 5v.

Yes as long as the ground are all connected together as well (and to the Arduino) and the power supply is adequate to power the sensors AND the Arduino board.

insanegecko:
When connecting 10 proximity sensor to a mega, can I use a terminal block away from the board, and only run the signal wires back to the digital inputs?....itll be the same power supply powering the board itself, and the sensors I was hoping to use are pnp 5v.

No, you need to run a ground wire (or wires) back with the signal wires, otherwise they won't have a ground-return.

ok, not sure if im clear...the first response correlates what I already suspected, 2nd goes against...

I want to power and ground the sensors off 2 separate terminal blocks (I have 10 sensors in mind)
the terminal blocks themselves will terminate to the arduino... 5v out and ground pins respectively...I was under the assumption that's sort of what a bread board does, possibly im wrong as im not experienced with this...im trying to upgrade a system that uses 10 relays and a mechanical timer with tech from this century..lol

As I understand your explanation (a circuit diagram and specs for the sensors would help us all) you will have one 5V and one GND wire running to a 2 terminal blocks (5V and GND) to which you will be connecting the prox sensors. This is essentially a fan-out of the power supply and ground close to the sensors location.

There should be no problem with that scenario provided the supply is sized correctly. If the sensors take more than a nominal amount of power, then the common wiring should also be sized for the expected current. Also take into account any voltage drop that may occur if you have a long wire run.