Sensor that measures amount a person is bending over

Hi everyone! I am currently a student and one of my projects is to design wearable technology for the safety and health of farmers. My group and I were thinking of using a sensor to detect a person bending over and if they are still bending over for a certain period of time, it will alert them to get up and stretch. Does anyone know the kind of sensor we would use for this? If not, are there any other solutions we can use for this project? Thank you in advance!

What about a light barrier?
Another suggestion would be a sensor measuring an eventual bending torque in the stand of the seat.

Accelerometer.

PaulRB:
Accelerometer.

…in the top shirt pocket.

It is difficult to mount a sensor to the human body unless it is somewhere people are used to having things strapped to them. Wristwatch is great for a lot of sensors, but not for yours.

Belt-mounted sensors are unobtrusive and easy to wear. What can you measure at the belt that is relvant to your study? Tilt of the belt (accelerometer)? Or a strain gauge to measure the stretch on the belt when bending?

Gyroscope! You get these integrated with an accelerometer, which you could use as well, as mentioned above.

I'd question the value of this feature, because no farmer will get up and stretch because a device tells them to, but as it's a school project I guess it's more of an exercise.

A gyroscope in a head cap

fidamon: A gyroscope in a head cap

Except you can be bent at the waist and still have your head up to look forward....

I would check with the medical deparament of your university or browse some medical research. Maybe somebody has already developed some ideas around this. Accelerometer will only tell you the movement trough space, but if you can meassure the body you can actualy figure out how much stress is put on the idividual.

Heavy lifting does not cause a lot of movement but is clearly bad for you. At least when you are my age. :)

Maybe you can meassure how tense the musles are on the back trough skin conductivity, ultra sound echo, light of different colors beeing reflected back. Similar to how they now can meassure your heart rate optically from at your wrist.

If it is just for demo, you can make it work with Acclerometers, gyro and strain gauges.

But if you want something that could be novel, I would try to find some medical scientist/students. I suspect they are not reading trough the Arduino forums though.

Accelerometer will only tell you the movement trough space,

I suggested an accelerometer because it can measure the angle of something relative to vertical. This would be much more convenient than strain gauges attached to the body. I can't see any use for a gyro for this project.

Hi, Are we being inundated with this project, two other threads asking about multiple accelerometers. This is the only one stating the application.

Tom... :)

ljflores16: My group and I were thinking of using a sensor to detect a person bending over and if they are still bending over for a certain period of time, it will alert them to get up and stretch

I thought that is the purpose of pain ?

...R