Sensor to identify the location of a smartphone

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any idea how to identify the location of a smartphone when it's set down somewhere.

I was wondering if there was a sensor that could identify a smartphone through the induction coil on the back of most newer smartphones? Or is there a way to identify a smartphone on an x,y plane by creating a copper wire matrix or something along those lines?

I can Google "where's my phone"? Google will call the phone and show it on a map. I can also ask Alexa (Amazon Echo) and it shows and tells me. Either will narrow down my phone's location.

If your phone is set to transmit location I would think any GPS system could find it. Now if I just set it down in my home and forget where I put it I just call it (using another phone) and listen. Not sure how you would configure a wireless charger to find a phone.

Also a Google of "Locate a smart phone Arduino" will bring up quite a few project hub projects for locating things including smart phones.

Ron

Ron_Blain:
I can Google "where's my phone"? Google will call the phone and show it on a map. I can also ask Alexa (Amazon Echo) and it shows and tells me. Either will narrow down my phone's location.

If your phone is set to transmit location I would think any GPS system could find it. Now if I just set it down in my home and forget where I put it I just call it (using another phone) and listen. Not sure how you would configure a wireless charger to find a phone.

Also a Google of "Locate a smart phone Arduino" will bring up quite a few project hub projects for locating things including smart phones.

Ron

Ah sorry I should've been more specific as quickly googling around gives many solutions for a generalized location such as GPS coordinates, wifi locations, and bluetooth locations, however, these solutions are not specific enough for my application.

I was looking for a solution to find a phone's exact location relative to the thing it's set on like a desk or table. Using GPS or google's find my phone location would not be specific enough in order to find the location of a phone on a desk.

For example: I set a phone on a xy-plane, output = phone's (x,y location)

I thought about a pressure sensor, but pressure would identify anything with similar weights. Could a matrix of hall-effect sensors be a possibility?

Good luck on this project. I don't see where hall effect would be of any use since you are just sensing a magnetic field. Likewise pressure you are just sensing a pressure. While I can get GPS coordinates for my phone about as good as it gets is telling me it is in my house but not where in the house. Under ideal conditions the best I can hope for is about a 16 foot (4.9 meter) distance and that is under ideal conditions. Trying to think of anything inherent to the phone itself and can't think of enything, even a small add on.

Ron

People often want some magic like this - there is no magic that does this without installing something
like an UWB ToF device on the phone, and having an array of at least 3 UWB base stations scattered
around the zone of interest.

UWB ToF = ultra-wideband time-of-flight, the RF technology that can triangulate a device will in a 3D
space, at a price.

The facetious answer is don't lose your phone!