sensor wire

I have some I2C sensors I am wanting to hook up. I would like to run it a little long, maybe 30', maybe 50' max. Right now, I am using cat 5 cable. It is kinda stiff, kinda prone to breaking on the ends if you bend it sharp.

What is a good alternative to cat 5 for sensor wire? I am not sure what the gauge of jumper wires for solderless breadboards are, but that looks like the perfect size for sensor wire. I am not familiar with that sort of thing, but can you buy longer lengths of that stuff with the 3 conductor female ends already crimped on? I bought some jst connectors from ebay to connect up some flow meters and I apparently got the size wrong. HAHA, they were super small, but they did work well for plugging in a hall effect sensor.

So, I was curious, what is a good size of wire for some I2C sensors? Can I get it in longer lengths with the small female 3 conductor headers crimped on? Where is a good supplier?

Anyone have any suggestions for something like this? I looked at a few robot suppliers, but I figured that I would ask around here first.

Rob

You have 30-50ft working at the moment with I2C? That's surprising to hear.

For flexibility you need "stranded" wire not "solid". CAT5 cables are available either way.

I too am surprised that I2C is reliable at that distance, but I've never tried anything more than about a foot.

Don't generalise I2C. There is more than one standard. It seems the FM+ variety can do up to 30mA/4000pF. Leo..

saximus:
You have 30-50ft working at the moment with I2C? That’s surprising to hear.

I have a project that has it running at 25 feet with no problems. That said it did have problems at normal speed. I did not need the speed and slowed it way down and have never had a problem since.

I have one of the barometric pressure/temp/humidity sensors connected at about 30ish feet over a cat 5 cable. It seems to work ok, I was curious if the distance would be a problem. I hooked it up, it worked and I never gave it much thought after that. That cable is just stiff and it is kind of a pain to work with on a little sensor or nodemcu board.