sensors for measuring high voltage

hi guys .

i looking for kind of sensors for Remote measuring high voltage (about 20k volts)

for example :

I want to make one device that can remotely detect 20 kV. and Write it in the lcd 2*16 . ( Without any direct connection )

what should I do ?

tnx :slight_smile:

AC or DC?
What's the source impedance?

mikb55:
AC or DC?
What's the source impedance?

hi ,
ac
i want use this in Power Plant .

Search for “hv instrument transformer”.

I cannot imagine anyone in a power plant allowing someone to connect an Arduino to anything.
Everything has to be certified by engineers and samples have to be tested to destruction before the design can be approved for use by people.

Erm, 20kV power plant? That is an application from a practioning electrical power engineer,
not the Arduino forum.

mikb55:
Search for "hv instrument transformer".

I cannot imagine anyone in a power plant allowing someone to connect an Arduino to anything.
Everything has to be certified by engineers and samples have to be tested to destruction before the design can be approved for use by people.

Hall effect sensors, how?
how to wok ?
can i use this sensor in near the 20k line ?
whats the hall effect out put ? is it voltage ?
whats the range of the hall effect sensors out put ? is it up then 3V dc ?

No no no no no. You’ll die. Horribly. You don’t mess with 20kV high power and live.

How is it measured today? How do you know it is 20,000 volts? If you already know this why do you want to measure it with an Arduino? Sounds more like a neon sign transformer.

Paul

MarkT:
No no no no no. You'll die. Horribly. You don't mess with 20kV high power and live.
20 kV electrical short circuit, tree in lines - YouTube

Paul_KD7HB:
How is it measured today? How do you know it is 20,000 volts? If you already know this why do you want to measure it with an Arduino? Sounds more like a neon sign transformer.

Paul

hi , tnx for your answers .

JUST One thing : I want to read a voltage with out any connection . what should i do ?

i want to make one electrical circuit that can be measure high voltage (a bout 20kV) , with out any connection (From a distance of 1 or 2 meters.) and monitor the voltage in one lcd 2*16 with arduino.

what should i do ?

tank you .

How many times do you need to be told that measurement of high power high voltage is
something you consult a professional about?

I guess you missed the Electrical Engineering class on measurements. The voltage measuring in a power generation plant or in a sub station is set up when the system is being built. The meter will be near the high voltage source. Several 1 meg ohm high voltage resistors (each probably 2 feet long are in series from the meter to a common connection. Not GROUND. there is no ground at this point.

Then the meter is read with binoculars.

Any non-contact high voltage meter reading is not done because air pressure and humidity will greatly effect the reading.

If you were able to construct a device to read the voltage, how do intend to calibrate the device?

Paul